• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not Again!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Murphy had his follow up vet visit and he has no yeast seen on swab of crop. Doc says he is clean and healthy. Nails all cut short on both M and other M. Vet visits are so stressful for our birds. My vet said they had a GCC stroke out right during exam so he is very careful.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hooray, hooray, hooray. Watch him close for awhile - it is a fungus.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Murphy had his follow up vet visit and he has no yeast seen on swab of crop. Doc says he is clean and healthy. Nails all cut short on both M and other M. Vet visits are so stressful for our birds. My vet said they had a GCC stroke out right during exam so he is very careful.
Yeah, stresss is so hard on the bird's! I just had a budgie die from the stress of a vet visit:sad1:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Even though my vet said ACV does not help I am putting it in the drinking water for one week out of the month. ACV is definitely not a cure but it does make a birds GI system more inhospitable to the growth of more fungus. I also stopped feeding fresh corn because of the sugar content. My vet also said some budgies seem more prone to AGY than others.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Even though my vet said ACV does not help I am putting it in the drinking water for one week out of the month. ACV is definitely not a cure but it does make a birds GI system more inhospitable to the growth of more fungus. I also stopped feeding fresh corn because of the sugar content. My vet also said some budgies seem more prone to AGY than others.
Do you use those feeder bottles with the spout for water? If so get rid of them and use a bowl.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
No never used them. I am a fanatic about keeping things associated with my birds clean. Thanks for the input though.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Glad to hear Murphy got a clean bill of health!
My last vet visit took so long...Cricket's heart rate went up and the vet stopped the check up and put him in a quiet darkened room with Watson for 20 minutes to calm down before starting the check up again. She sent me for coffee. I had to laugh. She didn't care if I had to wait, she was not going to over-stress Cricket.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
If this is something that comes back (I hope not...) there is a PCR test for macrorhabdus that I would recommend, it will be more sensitive than simply doing a gram stain or a crop swab

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes my other budgie that died had that test and it was very expensive. My avian vet tries to keep cost down for me. You are correct that this test is more sensitive. Thanks for the reminder.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Yes my other budgie that died had that test and it was very expensive. My avian vet tries to keep cost down for me. You are correct that this test is more sensitive. Thanks for the reminder.
That's surprising to me, the PCR that we offer is not expensive at all!

RAL - Test : Avian we use this lab, the test costs 18 plus shipping cost

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think I paid about $40. It was about 4 or 5 years ago.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Great news! :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
After this episode I have seen no indications of AGY in either bird. I am still convinced it was the corn on cob he ate. The kernels or outer shell of a corn kernel is difficult to digest and it could be it stayed in the crop longer than other foods and developed a fungus. I have not fed them corn any more and bought bird food with lower to no amounts of corn.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thank goodness they're better!