• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not Again!!

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Amphotericin B is not absorbed systemically when given orally in birds. I'm not sure how it's used in humans. The big risk to birds when giving it orally is aspiration, if it gets into their trachea that can lead to very serious complications. When we prescribe it we usually keep the bird in the hospital and gavage feed it to the birds to make sure that this doesn't happen.

I think that sodium benzoate is a wonderful option for budgies, but it makes me very nervous in other species. Because it's given in the water getting the dosing correct can be very tricky. I know of a flock of cockatiels that had issues with macrorhabdus and we used the sodium benzoate, a few of the birds ended up passing and others in the flock did very poorly while on the sodium benzoate. When we stopped it they all bounced back.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks Milo. Before I used a syringe extender which seemed to help some but my budgie learned how to hold liquid medications in his mouth and when I put him down he spit it out! I hope Murphy does not do this. Eventually we put the ampo in the drinking water which really is not the best way to treat a single bird. Its more for group feedings as in aviary. Nebulized Ampho is of no value for AGY.
I do know that ampho is not systemically absorbed with beak administration and that is the good part of it. In humans it is given IV. As a retired nurse I have done this many times. The Ampo is not supposed to be exposed to light and the IV bag comes with a cover in it. Aspiration is what I am concerned about. Holding a squirming bird that hates to be touched in one hand and a syringe in the other hand is very tricky. To keep him in the hospital for 10 days plus the other costs is beyond my budget.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
i hope Murphy gets well soon. :sadhug2::sadhug2:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Sending my best wishes to Murphy.
:sadhug2:
It's so scary how many diseases there are out there. Sounds like you are in good hands :) I have no doubt that getting meds into Murphy is difficult but keep fighting the good fight. Best of luck with everything and I hope Murphy feels better soon :heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks Laura things are better now that he is home. :hug4: Update: At the vets office today before bringing Murphy home I briefly had some time with doc. He told me he did another swab this morning and he saw no yeast! I wonder if the ampho works that fast. I do know that the yeast can come and go so false readings are common. I asked him the first visit if I could see the slide he made in front of me and he replied he does not let customers into his lab. Murphy got a one time long acting injection of Baytril also. So the plan of care is to continue with the ampho for 10 days then a re check and another crop swab. He does not test the droppings this time because they are sent out to another lab and it is very expensive. Vet knows I am poor.

Vet said the temp. in his hospital incubators is about 90 degrees so I should put a heat lamp on the birds for a few nights. I just went to the pet store and got one from the reptile department as suggested. Darn if I didn't get the wrong one. Its not a red light and it has a wattage (75) that is higher than recommended for my clip on lamp. So the blue LED bulb will be used as per usual. My apartment is always too worm for me but will not run the AC tonight. It stays on 80 mostly without AC.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm rooting for you and Murphy. I'm poor too and it ain't no fun, especially with a heath challenged bird.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Sending good wishes for Murphy,

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
So sorry..know nothing about it, but I feel bad that now you are going through it for a second time.

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Prayers for you and Murphy.
❤❤

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sorry for the misspelled words when I post. Hands not working well.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that Murphy is home.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Glad Murphy is home & hope the handsome guy has a complete recovery!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Lady Jane How is Murphy doing. Remember Sarah's Korbel had AGY when he was just a baby and she gave him Ampho B and he got much worse before he started pulling out of it. Keep the faith.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Thinking about Murphy.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Murphy is fighting the need to be handled as always. He just does not like being touched. He runs to the back of the cage when I am near now. Today is just day 4. We have a ways to go yet.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Awww that's so sad that he runs back of his cage :( Its so hard when they don't understand you're helping them. Hang in there :sadhug2: