• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not a Happy Forcast For Future Bird Populations

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yes. We are crucifying this planet at an astonishing rate.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
There is power in nature that man has ignored. And the result has been heartache and pain. "Anasazi Foundation" My grandmother told me when I was young this would happen. That men would turn their backs on nature. I have passed that on to my daughter at a young age, it's sad that my grandmother saw the future.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There is power in nature that man has ignored. And the result has been heartache and pain. "Anasazi Foundation" My grandmother told me when I was young this would happen. That men would turn their backs on nature. I have passed that on to my daughter at a young age, it's sad that my grandmother saw the future.

Very wise of you Carol.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
@Lady Jane Thank you for the articles you post. Very informative.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
It's really sad but true:sad11:

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
I am not worried, as I have read Revelation.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I read this article while sitting on my front porch counting at minimum 60 birds at my bird feeder and that was just the one in my front yard. I do think populations are declining due to loss of habitat and many other factors but I also think they go through good and bad years depending on the available food supply at the time. I read another article about one bird and I can’t remember what type it was that depending on weather and food supply will lay a smaller or larger clutch.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yeah Chris. I can't comment on bird populations, but when I lived on a ranch in NV the jack rabbits were a good example. Some years were overrun with rabbits. So much so that they would eat large sections out of our hay fields. The hay that we depended on to feed our cattle in the winters. Then other years you hardly saw any of them around. This was 30 miles from the nearest town (180 population), 30 miles away, nearest neighbors 7 miles, so there definitely wasn't any encroachment on their habitat.

Some years, when the population was low it would be because of disease (we would see lots of carcasses). Some years due to an extremely rough winter and they would starve. Some years due to a late spring and they wouldn't reproduce or the babies would die. They coyote population would fluctuate in sync with the rabbit population, as would the deer population.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This morning, I watched a clip of a documentary about red billed Quelea. Farmers kill 200 million of these birds every year, on the clip they showed the guy waiting til evening, then blowing up all the trees they were sleeping in with the nests. And every year their numbers grow.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Not a happy forecast for any species.

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
As an environmental engineer and a degreed wildlife biologist I've had a chance to observe the root causes of habitat destruction and environmental decline. Urban sprawl, genetically modified food crops, unscrupulous industries and the long term after effects of the industrial revolution just to name a few, have taken their toll on mother earth. A lot of the synthetic chemicals that man has developed do not degrade and pass on and on in the food chain. The ones that do degrade often degrade into poisonous compounds. The plastics and polymers developed to "make life easier" I believe will eventually end up having the greatest long term adverse effect on the environment and the planet as a whole. I could go on and on about this topic but my soapbox is getting a little old and worn out. In a way I'm glad I probably won't be around for the final act.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
As an environmental engineer and a degreed wildlife biologist I've had a chance to observe the root causes of habitat destruction and environmental decline. Urban sprawl, genetically modified food crops, unscrupulous industries and the long term after effects of the industrial revolution just to name a few, have taken their toll on mother earth. A lot of the synthetic chemicals that man has developed do not degrade and pass on and on in the food chain. The ones that do degrade often degrade into poisonous compounds. The plastics and polymers developed to "make life easier" I believe will eventually end up having the greatest long term adverse effect on the environment and the planet as a whole. I could go on and on about this topic but my soapbox is getting a little old and worn out. In a way I'm glad I probably won't be around for the final act.
we are something else. It's just a shame that wildlife has to suffer the consequences of our actions