• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Not a 911, but these are the best pictures I could get of the thing on P.J. lower tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackford

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne
You probably won't see much of me on this board. I'm so heart broken and depressed, I just don't even know what to say. I'll do my best to care for these guys but there is no cure for this virus.
Please dont go :(

I know how much worry is involved with having these guys in our lives... BUT please wait until you have seen this new doctor and have had the tests run.

Honestly, there are so many birds that live with illness/injury etc that live a full and happy life. Please hold hope :hug8::hug8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please dont go,we are all here for you to talk with. We care about you and your flock,this is not your fault! :hug8:

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ariahna, this is such a difficult time for you with so much sadness we know you are heart broken by your dedication to sweet P.J. and Max. There are many members here who although aren't vets or are able to change history can help you with emotional support because we are dedicated to and understand the love for birds. :hug8:

Last edited:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Ariahna, please try and relax until you have more test results, many of PJ's test results could be skewed if he was handled like Max. In the mean time I'm going to send you some F10 a veterinary disinfectant to clean with, it's the best there is. We carry this product in our online store but since it is not open I will send you some priority NC. We now what you must be going through and we care about your PJ and Max.

Link to F10: F10

Please read my PM

:hug8:

Ariahna

Thanks everyone. I moved P.J. to my bedroom which is where he will live out his life, his cage right beside my bed. My only other option was to put him in a room in my basement, but no one is ever in that room. I have still not heard anything about when I can get P.J. up to see the vet at K-State. It's a three hour drive and I really worry about how P.J. will handle it. P.J. is not handling being in my bedroom very well. He keeps flying back to the living room looking at the area his cage is supposed to be in. :(

I feel so bad for him, my nerves are shot from the ordeal with Max last week, this with P.J. and hearing about that atrocious situation in Ohio. I'm feeling like such a failure when all I wanted to do was spoil these birds. The shop where I got P.J. and Max from wants me to keep them updated. Apparently they have received 11 babies from the same set of IRN parents (P.J. is one). They are checking the six in the store right now, and will be calling two of the people who are in regularly. From what I can tell though, sometimes these warts don't show up for a while. They may even need a stress or triggering event before symptoms become visible. I'm going to pray for the best and prepare for the worst. I won't be re-homing P.J., I love him too much and won't be giving a bird with a virus to someone else to deal with.

From here on out he will live in my bedroom. Eat, play, socialize all in there. It breaks my heart to do this to him because he is such an independent and curious little creature that seems to really love life. Here's his new home. :(

Gary, I didn't have a PM but I will send you the info you requested. Thank you so much for your kindness and caring so much. :heart::hug8:

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Try to take it one day at a time. Hope you don't leave. You have lots of support here. :hug8::hug8::hug8:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
You are doing great, we all see how much you love your birds!!! :hug8:

I posted about GSE in a prior post, here is a link, information only without proper guidance: GSE to fight Papilloma virus

Last edited:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Try to think positive. Maybe it is not anything contagious. Even if it is, P.J. will keep having his amazing life with you - just in a different room. He is a very lucky bird to have you for a mama!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just wanted to send you some more :hug8:

Ariahna

Thanks for all the hugs, they do help. :) I haven't been the most articulate writer lately, my emotions sometimes get in the way. But I wanted everyone to know, I'm in this for the long haul. When I made the decision to get birds, I knew it was a commitment. I will keep my commitment to P.J. and frankly I just don't see how anyone could love or care for him any better than I can, so he's stuck with me! :D

Ariahna

Update: P.J. has an appointment to see Dr. Carpenter at 10 a.m. next Thursday morning. It is a 2.5-3 hour drive. Any suggestions on how to keep him comfortable in his travel cage that long would be greatly appreciated. He has done fine with car rides in the past but they were only 20 minute rides to work with me or shorter.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so sorry for all you're going through, Ariahna, and am saying prayers.

For the trip you may want to get some fresh ginger ahead of time for him to eat (a couple thin slices) right before you leave and add some to the travel cage if you think he'll eat while traveling. It will help control any car sickness that may happen. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.