• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Normal for Cockatiel to hang out on the floor of the cage?

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
I’ve noticed my cockatiel, Clover, is hanging out on the floor of her cage recently. She has been taking naps there during the day and I’m worried she might be sick. She hasn’t had any behavioral changes since she started napping on the floor and has actually been playing with toys on my table today. I know that cockatiels are ground foragers and like to hang out on the ground occasionally but could this possibly be a health issue?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
You know your bird best. If something seems off, there's a good chance it might be that something is amiss. I'd rather be safe than sorry. :)

Being a year old now, she might be broody. Hens will seek out nesting sites. Anything will do, including the bottom of the cage. Have you noticed any other behaviors lately, such as masturbation, regurgitation, or putting her wings out and tail up (displaying)?

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
She hasn’t shown any signs of brooding, other than occasionally flapping her wings while on a perch. I am also currently switching her to pellets and have noticed a yellow color in her liquid part of her poop. Is it possible that since I’m giving her less seeds that she naturally goes to the floor to “forage” for food?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Do you have a small kitchen scale? I'd weigh her and make sure she's getting enough to eat. Any significant gain or loss can indicate a problem as well.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Is she just sitting on the bottom of the cage or actually trying to get food from the bottom?

kanth

Strolling the yard
Has she always been doing this or is it a new thing? My gcc naps on the floor but he's done that all his life, he just likes it down there. My tiel started napping on the floor and she had a respiratory infection.

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Her weight is normal (90 grams). She used to look for food at the bottom of the cage but now it just seems that she goes and sleeps down there.

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Our vet isn't open until Tuesday. Talked to a person at the bird rescue and they said she could be trying to lay an egg or have a respiratory infection. We will take her to the vet on Tuesday and hope for the best :depressed::sad1: