• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent (Non-urgent) Wake up, Kamara!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This could be my hypervigilant lunacy at work (again), but I'm starting to get really anxious about how much time Kamara spends sleeping every day.
She snoozes soundly through the night without issue, so I wouldn't think that she's trying to make up for lack of sleep, but she doesn't seem exactly sick, either. She isn't puffed up, she's got good posture, she's eating, she's drinking, her droppings are normal, she's leaving her feathers alone, she's just...sleeping. All the time.

Typically she would spend her day bashing her toys around, chatting up a storm, eating like a pig and asking to come out, but it's like she's got anhedonia this week. She just wants to nap.

She was well-looked after by a team of vets at the Humane Society after being found outside, and has been to the vet a few times already while with me (because I'm a fretful mama), and no one found any lurking illnesses, so I'm really perplexed.

Is it fairly likely that she's sick? Should I bring her back to the vet?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Is she molting? That always turns my birds into perch potatoes. Cloudy days also make my birds fairly inactive. Is she actually sleeping, or just sitting there? What type of tests did they do on her, or was it just a physical? If it was just a physical, I would bring her in if she doesn’t snap out of it in a day or two. I hope she’s okay!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think Kamara got wind of the fact that she was spooking me, because poof! Suddenly she's back to her old self again.
These birds are gonna have me grey by 26. :dead:

@Tiel Feathers: she is moulting, but I guess I'm used to my fids always being active lol. Too much sleeping gives me a heart attack!
They did a full blood panel and fecal analysis at the human society, and she's had several physical exams. Beyond her deformed feet and recovery from malnutrition she's been given a pretty clean bill of health, which is why I was bamboozled.

I need a drink. :hilarious:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sounds like they were pretty thorough at the vets, so maybe it’s the molt. I’m so glad she perked up! My birds stress me out too. I wonder if bird owners partake in :patrelax: Or
:chocolate: Type of behaviors more than other people lol!