• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Non-sibling pair, age 2-ish..

SaraL

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Sara
Hi, all! I’ve posted before, in the “welcome to the (new parrot ownership & you have no idea what you’ve gotten yourself into)” forum, lol.
We purchased a pair of IRNs. Yes, off Craigslist. Intended to go “rescue”, with a different breed. And more to the point - ONE parrot.

Now, we have a pair of IRNs. A male and a female - not siblings, both are age 2 (trusting seller, here).
Now for my questions..
They’ve been raised together, in the same cage. So we’ve continued this.
They generally adore each other. Cuddles, separation anxiety (for the flighted male). She occasionally gets pissy with him.
She’s more tame (hand raised), but has yet to let us hold her - he’s more fearful (aviary raised) & is afraid to take food from our hand.
I think they’d both be easier to bond with, & possibly benefit from, being apart. But I also think they’d both be traumatized by separation. (And we still have the one cage).
Do I split them apart? For what may be my benefit, & not theirs?
I think the answer is “yes”.. but I’m unsure.
The cage door is opened in the morning.. they tend to come out & stay on top of the cage. (With exceptions, that’s another post, lol).
We want them to be part of our family - I’m thinking that - with each other to be their companions - they’re less inclined to want to bond with us. And we really want them to feel a bond with us.
I could use a LOT of advice. We’ve had them for just over a month, and we’re being very patient. But we love them - & want them to love us, as well.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
But I also think they’d both be traumatized by separation.
Do I split them apart?
No. Leave them together.

It might not be in your benefit, but it is in theirs to be together.

Here´s a good article written by a bird expert to have a read of;
Ethical, Moral & Spiritual Considerations of Companion Parrot Care By Pamela Clark, CVT, CPBC

@Khizz created a thread here, I think it may also be helpful for you;

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It would be traumatic for them to be separated. But you could try working with them one at a time outside the cage and see how that goes.

SaraL

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Sara
Thanks for the responses! I’ll read both articles, they seem to be I’m looking for.