• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Non-Rope Perch Alternatives?

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Hello everyone!
I have been using an assortment of manzinita perches, rope perches, and very rarely dowel perches in my parrot's cages. I recently stumbled upon this scary thread: Parrot Forum • View topic - WARNING ON FABRICS (inc. rope perches, snuggle tents, etc) and now I am all wigged out about my birds rope perches! I have been using them for years because dowels gave my conure foot sores, but now I am worried to use them even though I know he does not chew on them!

He's also a clumsy boy lol.

What should I use to replace my rope perches??

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There are lots of types of perches.

Flagstone
Willow
Platform
Natural woods
Cork bark
Etc

TNT, Parrot Shop, Things 4 Wings, are all vendors here and all carry some perches

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I use a few rope perches, I have several manzanita perches, grapewood, platforms, swings and a concrete pediperch. Variety is key!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I have a couple of natural branch perches (from my yard), a rope perch and boing, 2 dowels, a wrapped toy, and a pedi-perch. Oh, and a silly plastic perch that came from first cage!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Another option would be to wrap the rope with vet wrap so that the fibers can't be accessed :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do use some rope perches but only with birds who do not shred them. Other perches are willow, birch, manzanita, eucalyptus, cow wood, ocotillo, grape wood and have some cork bark and pine platforms and pedi-perches.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Thank you everyone for all of the replies!!! I'm going to replace them over a period of time! I'm going to keep the rope perches in his play area where he is always supervised! :) Does anyone know if sisal rope perches are okay? Or are they like cotton rope perches and have the same kind of hazards?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you everyone for all of the replies!!! I'm going to replace them over a period of time! I'm going to keep the rope perches in his play area where he is always supervised! :) Does anyone know if sisal rope perches are okay? Or are they like cotton rope perches and have the same kind of hazards?

I believe sisal is safer but I am not 100% sure on that, I would have to look it up. I don't use it because it's abrasive and my birds don't care for it

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Rupert got a strand of sisal wrapped around a toe one time. I was really diligent about cutting the strands short, but I still missed one somehow. The fibers are pretty rough and strong anyhow.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Another option would be to wrap the rope with vet wrap so that the fibers can't be accessed :)
I actually do do that! :) My boy has been going through some hormonal behavior issues for a while now and regurgitates on the perches ( I wrap them in vet wrap for easy clean-up and to prevent him from getting to those fibers!) However lately he has been shredding the vet wrap! :facepalm:

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Darnit, I wouldn't want to have to worry about that either. Cygni can be rather clumsy and tends to slip off of the natural perches, however I could probably wrap those with some vet wrap, or perhaps hemp rope?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Darnit, I wouldn't want to have to worry about that either. Cygni can be rather clumsy and tends to slip off of the natural perches, however I could probably wrap those with some vet wrap, or perhaps hemp rope?
Take some sandpaper to the perch first. See if you can give it a little more "grip". :)

Tser

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Ah the idea to wrap the rope perches in vet wrap is such a good one! I use it on her PVC play stand but never thought about it as a sort of barrier to the threads. So is the dremel idea for slippery perches! Thanks @Mizzely !

I won't use rope in the cage, but I have been looking for a way to create access and climbing between perches on top of ChuChu's cage where she would be supervised. My ideas were bendable rope (which makes me anxious, even supervised) or wooden ladders (unscrewing and removing the dangerous eye hooks they always come with, and connecting it with zip ties?). Since the ladder would rest on top of chuchu's cage though I know she'd destroy it where she could reach it, haha.

I love the bendable ropes for making play areas, but I can't find the old bendable sisal ropes I used to use.

Does anyone know of bendable sisal or manila rope these days? For supervised play only! Otherwise I will go with the bendable cotton with vet wrap, for supervised use.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I got mine from Drs Foster & Smith, but it appears they no longer carry it there. *Edit* I just looked up Caitec zig zag sisal perch, and it's out of stock or unavailable in every store I look at. I wonder what's up with that?

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Take some sandpaper to the perch first. See if you can give it a little more "grip". :)
That is a GREAT idea! My boy has started to rip apart the vet wrap so time to get rid of the rope perches!