• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Non-permanent suggestions for closing off a pass-through window and doorway?

Chelsip

Meeting neighbors
I live in a two-story house with an open floor plan. The birds currently have their own room on the second floor that is also my work-from-home office, and is where they primarily spend their time. We have an upstairs game room area that also connects to the downstairs living areas via a doorway/stairs and a pass-through internal "window" that I'd like to have them out in more, but I need a way to close off these two entry points to keep them upstairs. Does anyone have any suggestions for non-permanent ways to do this? Our current thought for the pass-through is a secured curtain, but we are stumped on the doorway from the stairs.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are hanging screens with magnetic closures you can hang in doorways. They are primarily for using in the summer when you want to come and go from outside to keep bugs out. They have a center slit lined with magnets that snap the slit closed after you push through.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
There are hanging screens with magnetic closures you can hang in doorways. They are primarily for using in the summer when you want to come and go from outside to keep bugs out. They have a center slit lined with magnets that snap the slit closed after you push through.
I was thinking the same thing.
People usually use them on patio doors to keep mosquitoes out. They look nice too. :)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I currently use a spring loaded curtain rod and a white sheer curtain to separate the kitchen from the rest of the house. It’s not as strong as the screen material, but works for the budgies.

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
Umbra makes two product in their clever “Anywhere” series that might work:

I think the curtain rod option is more what you need as it can provide nearly floor to ceiling coverage (there will be a couple inch gap or so at the very top). Depending how high your opening is, you may need to sew your own fabric panel or add length to a curtain panel to get full coverage. If it’s wider than the rod’s max 66” width you’ll have to get more than one kit.

It’s not currently on sale but I’ve seen it go on sale quite frequently.