• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Noise during night

Guava123

Walking the driveway
I know cockatiels get to a level of decibels of 85. My parents are worried about the cockatiel screaming during the night when we're trying to sleep or when someone's working. So, do cockatiels scream during nighttime? I was sure they didn't because surely, in a pitch black closet they'd be so tired from a twelve hour day they'd sleep just like humans do. So how often does your cockatiel scream both at day and night? Can you hear them throughout the house?

shajeeb

Meeting neighbors
I have 2 cockatiels. They usually go to sleep right after sunset. They never make a sound at night (at least mine do not). I have them since they were 8 weeks old and i trained them that way. And for the day it is very difficult to say. Every bird is different. Some birds are very quite some are loud. Also depends on how you are handling them. If you keep them locked in a cage all day without any toy they will get bored and scream a lot. For night you want to keep them in a dark/low light quiet area.
During day time "Loki" (my male cockatiel) sings/chatter all day and only screams when "Gutu" (my female cockatiel) goes out of his sight. Gutu screams occasionally.

Last edited:

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Birds do not make sound during night except a few soft chirps here and there. Every bird is different, some are quiet and some are super loud. Some can be quite then be loud in the future. It is always a possibility.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My tiels don't scream during the night. Only once did one of my tiels make any noise and that's because he had a night fright. I really wouldn't be concerned about cockatiels waking you up at night. However, you mentioned a pitch black closet- tiels are prone to night frights. I always have a night light on for mine. I wouldn't put them completely in the dark.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
If the room they will be kept has a chance of headlights shining in, be sure to close blinds/shades/curtains during their rest hours.

Guava123

Walking the driveway
My tiels don't scream during the night. Only once did one of my tiels make any noise and that's because he had a night fright. I really wouldn't be concerned about cockatiels waking you up at night. However, you mentioned a pitch black closet- tiels are prone to night frights. I always have a night light on for mine. I wouldn't put them completely in the dark.
Ah yes, I do have a nightlight. I wonder what color she'd like.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Most birds don't make much, if any, noise at night. Parrots can't see super well in the dark, so making noise would attract predators that they can't easily see or escape from. Better to be quiet and get some sleep :)

Reactions: tka

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
Never heard any of my birds scream after bedtime. Even during a night fright. Heard the odd chirp or whistle here or there. I live in the flight path of a major airport so I think when they hear a plane they feel compelled to vocalise.

BibaDiba

Moving in
Real Name
Brit
My male cockatiel will sometimes throw a silent soft song here or there at night if theres still a light on in the room, otherwise he's quiet like a mouse.