• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Noise assistance!

SassyNuggs

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Holly
Hello! Hope you can help!

I've recently acquired a quaker from a pet store here in the UK. I was told he was two years old, but they did not know his prior history. He is untame, very skittish of hands. I've had him for around a month and we've been talking every day. He's made a variety of noises, such as purrs, chuffs, chirps, and "cluck" noises? All of which sound positive! One thing I could not prepare myself for was the contact calling or flock calls which are truly ear piercing! These usually occur when I wake him up in the morning, or if I've let him out of his cage and he's free-flying. When I am changing his food or water he has to move as far away as possible from me and flutter around, and I can't get my hands anywhere near him without being scared. He's comfortable with my face/body when he's inside the cage, but outside I can get within a metre or so of him. He's also very reluctant to play with toys, and I don't know if this is because he's never had any in the pet store or wherever he has come from.

My questions are:

Is the flock call a bad sign? What does it mean that he is doing it whenever free-flying? Is he scared and uncomfortable?

Would he be more comfortable waiting to be hand-tamed before being let out? How will he adjust to hands?

Whenever he is free-flying I usually wait for him to become hungry and re-enter his cage.

SassyNuggs

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Holly
My children for tax - they do have a variety of perches not just this dowling playground :)
PXL_20211122_125317048.jpg

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies woke me at the crack of dawn ‘till I got cage covers. You don’t have to buy the custom, pricey ones. I use blankets.

No idea about flock calls, etc.