• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Noel is so scared, I could use some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evelyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Evelyn
I have had birds most of my life, but got them all as babies, Noel is 2 years old, we were told, but not sure, I don't know her background, she is just so scared, we got her yesterday, how long should I leave her in her cage before I try to get her out, I don't want to push her too fast and I want her to learn to trust me.. I am always talking to her and she runs to the other side of the cage, she does like her toys and is eating fine, we just got her yesterday..She the first Plet I have ever been owned by, gosh we just love her already..

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
Sounds to me like you are handling it right. Soft talking and just sitting there is great. My plet loves dried bits of fruit and I would have those handy in case Noel ventures toward you, which he she will because they are curious little buggers :) And at least with mine, food is a huge motivator to get over fear.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I would allow her to move at her own pace. Don't attempt to 'get her out'...rather, allow her to come out on her own terms. To a playtop or somewhere to play. They love rummaging around in a basket full of treats and small toys, shreddables, and interesting stuff to forage through. I would give her a week or so to get acclimated to your routine, her surroundings, etc. Sit nearby and talk softly, maybe get a dish of treats and eat it while making happy yummy sounds. This may spark her natural curiosity. Make sure she has plenty of toys and things to do. Not knowing her background, it's hard to say if she has ever been handled. She might not, so you may have to appreciate her from a distance for awhile. Soft, soothing talk, love and patience may win her over in time. Love her name. Good luck with her.:hug8:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Good advice given there, no need to rush in fact you want to build trust by not "pressing" the matter.

They say bird time is not our time, they teach us many, many things and patience is certainly one of them.

So sit by the cage, move slowly near the cage, perhaps read to your new sweetie. In time maybe a week or so hopefully your new guy will step towards you.

Best of luck ~ go slow.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
You don't say where you have her cage at this point...It's best to have it out of the main traffic pattern and have a wall to her back....
Sitting by her quietly through out the day and talking softly to her helps...watch her and see what interests her in your voice etc....
A radio playing or TV can also help when you aren't in the room...
SLOWLY...:hug8:

jodeg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jo Anne
Great advice from everyone. Her whole world changed in an instant, so she's going to be afraid for a while.

Just imagine if you were, all of a sudden, with no decision on your part, dumped down in a foreign country? You're not sure where you are, you don't speak the language, you don't have any money, the food looks funny, you don't recognize anyone, and they're all so BIG! What would you do? You'd probably be real quiet and try to hide for a while until you can figure out what's going on and who these people are. Are they friendly or am I DINNER? :eek: If someone came near you or tried to grab you, you'd probably fight back -- bite! Stay quiet, stay still, WATCH OUT!

If you picture it from her point of view, it sure looks scary, doesn't it? So patience is the key here. You and your new baby will be together for a lot of years, so you have plenty of time. Talk softly when you pass her cage, give her good food and clean water, move slowly so you don't scare her more than she already is. Patience is the key!

One day, maybe days from now, maybe MONTHS, when you come near her and she runs TOWARD you, seeking out your love and attention, it'll all be worth it! :heart: When you have the love and trust of these little birds, it's WONDERFUL!

Good luck, hope this helped a little!

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
Poor little Noel! I wish I had some good advice for you but I got Dolce as a baby.... I'm sure she'll warm up to you in no time, though! :hug8:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
You're not sure where you are, you don't speak the language, you don't have any money, the food looks funny, you don't recognize anyone, and they're all so BIG! Are they friendly or am I DINNER? :eek:
SOOOO true!!!!

That is why i am always amazed when birds do just jump right in and feel at home soon after getting to a new place. Parrots are amazing!!!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You've gotten great advice. I only have one thought to add: to build a relationship with a p'let, you need time, patience, love and millet. And lots of it. :D

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe poor little Noel...she must be so scared....you got so much great advice already...take it nice and slow. Let her decide when to take that next stop. And Holiday is right about the millet! lol

Evelyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Evelyn
Thank you everyone, I am following all your advice, she is so pretty, I can't wait till I can take some pictures of her...:thanks::)

Status
Not open for further replies.