• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

no tail cockatiel for 11 years

kkn50

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! So I have been a proud owner of a cockateil for 11 years now. I got him from a breeder, and yes of course I picked the one cockateil that had no tail. I was told he was hatched like that, and 11 year old me felt really bad for the bird and did not think he would be chosen by anyone else. So against my moms will I insisted we pick that bird. Sometimes he will grow a crooked tail feather but will break it quickly, he is very easily spooked. I have tried to have his tail grow but it has never really worked out. Because of his lacking of a tail he cannot fly. I have not clipped his wings (I am not sure if the breeder did prior to me getting him). I feel bad that he cannot fly even a little bit, but I am. more scared of him hurting himself. Like I said, he spooks really easily and falls from his cage all of the time. I get him out of his cage and hang out with him the majority of the day but he still falls from his cage all of the time. I tried putting soft fats around the cage so he does not hurt himself more but I HATE seeing him fall all of the time.

I was wondering if anyone had advice to give on how to prevent my bird from falling, or how to grow his tail better. He is 11 now and I love this bird more than anything ever (and he only attached to me, and is not very nice to anyone else because he is really protective of me). I am scared that he will hurt himself extra bad one of these falls and I could not handle that.

Attachments

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
The first thing I would do is make a false bottom for his cage and pad it with a blanket or towels- you can cut a piece of cardboard and use zip ties to hold it in place.

Has he seen an Avian vet? They might have more advice.

@Hankmacaw @enigma731

kkn50

Checking out the neighborhood
I will try the towel suggestion! I’ve never done that inside of his cage only outside. It seems like no matter what surface he is on he flips around and breaks his tail, but worth a shot!
I have never been do an avian vet, how much do appointments like that usually cost? I have never brought him to a vet before

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
It depends. My avian vet is generally 45$ for a basic checkup, medication and testing will be extra. It's good practice to take them yearly, and then whenever they're sick.

You'll want to look for a avian vet, even better if they are board certified. If you give us a rough idea of where you're located, someone may be able to point you to one.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think the bigger question is why is he falling, not why won't his tail grow back. It's a symptom, not the underlying condition. Definitely put some padding and/or a false bottom in the cage right away, but also find a good vet and have him checked.

Reactions: tka

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How are his feet? Can he grip okay?