• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

No-stick spray safe for birdie cornbread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellimaye

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ellie
This may seem like a silly question, but I have been wondering about it.

I have bought all the ingredients to make some birdie cornbread mini muffins. This will be my first attempt and I am wondering if it is safe to spray the muffin pan with no-stick spray. Does anybody know?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Aerosols should never be used in a home with birds. I have never used the stuff, if it has a bunch of ingredients, I would avoid it. But then people use Jiffy mix, and I don't believe in that either. It is so easy to make it from scratch.
How about a little regular olive or pure corn oil?
What is the muffin pan made from, is it SS or?

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
you can also get the 'non stick' type sprays in a pump bottle or put a little oil on a paper towel and wipe your pan with it

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I use Olive Oil to coat my pan for birdie bread. If I use Pam for my own foods I go outside in the garage with the door shut and spray my pan and then go inside.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I use Olive Oil to coat my pan for birdie bread. If I use Pam for my own foods I go outside in the garage with the door shut and spray my pan and then go inside.
That's what I do too. I step out on my side porch, spray it and then come back in. Besides, that stuff gets stuck on your counters and cabinets if you do it inside :D

ellimaye

Real Name
Ellie
I have pump spray olive oil. I was just worried about the ingredients and wondered if it was safe for Joey to ingest.

Carole, all my pans are All-Clad stainless steel. I had always known teflon was unsafe for birds but finally decided to switch completely over last year after I read a thread on another forum where someone lost all their birds due to a pan they left burning on the stove. :( As soon as my SS came in I threw everything else away so I would not be tempted to use them.;)

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
the olive oil should be fine for baking for them :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Good to know. I guess I always assumed it was all aerosol...never been a fan of the stuff. Isn't that heartwrenching to read those stories of birds who die from teflon fumes! It would be devastating.:(

zoomama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I haven't tried it, but I read on another thread where some people use paper cupcake wrappers and pour their batter into them too.

ellimaye

Real Name
Ellie
Nancy, yeah I thought about doing that too. Problem is, it still sticks to the paper.:rolleyes:
BTW, I made them with putting olive oil in the pan and spreading it around with a paper towel. It did not work. They still stuck to the pan. Thank goodness Joey doesn't mind the way they look!:dancing:

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
oops - try dusting on a little flour once you have oiled the pan, (same principle as Bakers Joy cooking spray)

ellimaye

Real Name
Ellie
GG, I fogot about doing that! I have done that before when baking cakes. :headsmack:
Thanks for the reminder!:thankyou:

pga7602

Jogging around the block
I use all-clad everything here too! If I'm using the pan or doing dry cooking in the pots, I use olive oil on low heat cooking. For high heat cooking like fish or red meat and I want it crisp, i use corn or canola oil.

Hope that helps.

I have pump spray olive oil. I was just worried about the ingredients and wondered if it was safe for Joey to ingest.

Carole, all my pans are All-Clad stainless steel. I had always known teflon was unsafe for birds but finally decided to switch completely over last year after I read a thread on another forum where someone lost all their birds due to a pan they left burning on the stove. :( As soon as my SS came in I threw everything else away so I would not be tempted to use them.;)

ellimaye

Real Name
Ellie
I use all-clad everything here too! If I'm using the pan or doing dry cooking in the pots, I use olive oil on low heat cooking. For high heat cooking like fish or red meat and I want it crisp, i use corn or canola oil.

Hope that helps.
Funny that you should mention that! I just learned about that actually. I was watching Sandra Lee and she talked about how the olive oil doesn't get hot enough for searing meat. I had never even thought about it before. All-Clad is amazing and truly worth the investment!

Status
Not open for further replies.