• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

No, I'm not making Glitter!

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I've been cutting on stainless for the last 3 days or so on my little bi-metal bandsaw.

20200801_165538 (Medium).jpg
In this image, I am cutting stainless 1" square tube with a wall thickness of 1/8" and I am
cutting them at 1/2" wide. it takes 2 minutes, 25 seconds for one cut.
I'm sure the saw band is getting dull but it is a lot of metal to cut through.

20200801_165619 (Medium).jpg
This is just after it cuts through.

20200801_165911 (Medium).jpg
In this tray there are about 24-30 pieces cut. Now, I have to deburr them all. At this time this item is only for the one toy I have which is called "Three Squares & More".

Three-Squares-n-More-1c-205k.jpg
For the large birds "Three Squares & More.

20200801_171006 (Medium).jpg
And at last, here is all the glitter that I created when I cut the metal pieces!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Oooooh,

I want a full picture of that saw. :rofl: I love big tools.
Me too. :D

When I cut stainless I use an angle grinder with a Disk for stainless. Not a nice cut like your bandsaw but very quick. I sand/grind each piece anyway.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Me too. :D

When I cut stainless I use an angle grinder with a Disk for stainless. Not a nice cut like your bandsaw but very quick. I sand/grind each piece anyway.
Ohhh, I think it's this sexy one!

I'm really starting to like the WEN products. I've beaten a few and they are still like new.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
They don't sell Wen products around here? Never used one.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I wasn't sure about the WEN line until I bought my big drill press. That bugger runs hours a day and never gives me trouble. Customer service is great when ordering extra parts. My drill press is about 2-3 years old. I just replaced my belt sander with a WEN. It's twice as heavy as my old one and so quiet. Saws I'm usually a dewalt user. I have some old craftsman too but I wouldnt hesitate to by a WEN if it had what I needed. Our whole shop is yellow and orange.

I bet Jan will say she is happy with it. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I wasn't sure about the WEN line until I bought my big drill press. That bugger runs hours a day and never gives me trouble. Customer service is great when ordering extra parts. My drill press is about 2-3 years old. I just replaced my belt sander with a WEN. It's twice as heavy as my old one and so quiet. Saws I'm usually a dewalt user. I have some old craftsman too but I wouldnt hesitate to by a WEN if it had what I needed. Our whole shop is yellow and orange.

I bet Jan will say she is happy with it. :)
All my big tools are 25 years old. A lot of names you've never heard of. I always buy commercial grade tools and I know how to look after them so they all work like new. Delta was a big name back then.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
All my big tools are 25 years old. A lot of names you've never heard of. I always buy commercial grade tools and I know how to look after them so they all work like new. Delta was a big name back then.
Quit talking dirty to me!

I have been getting tools from mine and Joe's grandfather for years. Some of the oldies are awesome and some are darn near scary! I turn them on and say "damn, that things mean!" ... it can be good or bad "mean". ;)

Do we need a thread to show off big tools John? I'm not in construction for a lifetime but I bet I can hold my own. Lol

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yes, that is the exact bandsaw I am using, Sarah! I like it because it is small enough and I can roll it around where I want it. Depending on what you are cutting as to how long it takes like how thick the metal is. For cutting stainless you do need to use a bi-metal band blade. You just have to get all the stuff set on it properly for it to run nicely. While I was cutting the metal I show, I did have to stop for a while a couple of times to let the motor cool. I just don't like overheating stuff like that because it can wear it out quicker. I do the same with my bench grinder. When we bought the Wen just 2 years ago which we had ordered online, we paid $249 and now they want nearly $400 for it.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I love it Jan! Looks like it works perfectly for you!

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yes, I think it works pretty well for me. It won't win any contest in fast cutting but what metal cutting saw would?! Yesterday while I was cutting I set the band down to cut a piece of metal and it gives me 2 min. 30 secs. to do other little things then set it to cut another pieces and so on or I'll just sit there and wait for each cut.

The good thing about a bandsaw like that vs. a grinder or metal grinding chop saw is, the grinder types will make the burrs worse to clean up.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's a lot of work, Jan, and a lot of glitter. :)
I create sterling silver glitter. :D

Jan

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
That's a lot of work, Jan, and a lot of glitter. :)
I create sterling silver glitter. :D

Is your glitter worth more than my stainless glitter?? LOL!

So far now I have cut enough of these squares to make up 25 toys. So that was 75 cuts, the toy takes 3 of these squares I've been cutting. Now I might cut some at a 1/4" thick, even that would be strong enough for Macaws.