• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

No Budgie as of yet...

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
Hi All! It has been two years since the passing of my beloved budgie Blueberry. I sold his cage, however, I have kept all of the best toys and new perches in a special container.

I am writing because I just want a bit of feedback from the lovely forum members...my issues...
1. I am so torn in getting another feathered child due to the fact that the pain of the loss is still with me. (Can you believe (2) years later)?
2. There is only exotic vets in my area...and no avian vet. The exotic vet that treated Blueberry, didn't diagnose his health issues correctly. BTW...even exotics in my area aren't taking new clients.
3. Lastly, I feel a bit guilty not having another bird at this time. I know I could provide a wonderful home for a rescue. To be honest, I think I might never want another one. I have had budgies in my life for (20) + years. The last two years, no.

Thanking you in advance for any comments,

Joanne

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi Joanne, Nice to hear from you :)

the pain of the loss is still with me. (Can you believe (2) years later)?
I can believe that. I'm coming up on 2 years without my doggo and still feel the same pain like it happened last week.

There is only exotic vets in my area...and no avian vet. The exotic vet that treated Blueberry, didn't diagnose his health issues correctly. BTW...even exotics in my area aren't taking new clients
Well, that is a difficult situation. I wouldn't bring home an animal without at least being able to be on the list for the exotic vet. Mainly for access to meds etc.

Lastly, I feel a bit guilty not having another bird at this time. I know I could provide a wonderful home for a rescue. To be honest, I think I might never want another one. I have had budgies in my life for (20) + years. The last two years, no.
What about a different species? Maybe a change could be easier to digest. If you really want another bird, but are worried how you would feel about another budgie, perhaps a conure or lovebird or something completely different. Maybe foster and see how it goes? That way, if you don't feel right, you can always back out.
Don't be pressured. Do what you feel is right, when you feel it is right. And if that means no more birds, then that is ok too.

Sending hugs :hug9:

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
I love the foster idea! Wonderful...I do have a local SPCA in my area. I could always reach out to them. Thank you Zara for your uplifting words...it was just what I needed today! :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think fostering is a great idea. It's actually how I started back to my life with birds. I didn't think I would have more birds after my tiel Sunny passed away. It broke my heart. I had been asked previously to foster birds for our local animal shelter. I had said no at the time but after Sunny passed away my boyfriend encouraged me to reach back out to them. I had my first foster the next day. LOL. I eventually started fostering for a parrot rescue too and then became a foster fail.... Elvis, my cockatoo. I NEVER thought I would have a cockatoo, but it just shows- never say never. Good luck with your fostering journey. Rescues always need help. :)

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Thank you for the lovely reply. I just emailed our local animal shelter. I don't know if they have any birds in need as of yet. Zara made a a great point about fostering and also a new species other than budgies. Again, thank you for the encouragement. :heart:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's been 8 years since I lost my Hahns and I still miss her all the time!

Ask local people where they take their birds. My current vet didn't show up in a Google search for "Avian vet" or "bird vet". Asking in local groups on Facebook and a rescue in my area gave me more options. Some areas also have mobile vets that travel around the country.

There's only one certified avian vet in my state, about 2 hours away, but my main "exotics" vet is only 45 minutes away.

Don't feel pressured to take on another bird if it doesn't feel right. I thought I was done with birds too honestly. Found my Jardine's on craigslist when I was trying to sell the cage he is now in. I didn't go looking for him, but he found me :)

I also think fostering can be a wonderful option!