• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

nippy

Status
Not open for further replies.

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
I have a question about loofa.
She's pretty nippy to family members, she'll be real sweet then just nip. She bites pretty hard to my dad out of no ware... he says if he had thinner skin (like we girls do) it probably would leave a mark. She bit my moms cheek but it didn't leave a mark, she said it just felt like a pinch.

She seems to be very nippy around others, but is sweet at the same time if that makes sense.

She's nippy around me but doesn't puncture me, just likes to play around with her beak with me.

Are quakers pretty nippy? I think I read they were. She's not violent or anything, really sweet. Just wondering if I can stop this behavior.

Thanks!

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
Quakers are very nippy. How long have you had her?

Right now from what you described is she is not intentionally hurting you. She is just testing.

This may help and worth a shot. Boomer and Chiquita were biters. What I did was gently blow on them when they bit. I would do this every time. I made no fuss or drama because this is what they are trying to get out of you. Sometimes this works, sometimes this doesn’t. But give it a try.

Here is a link that may help.

BITING PARROTS Why They Do It and How To Control It

To stop your parrot’s biting episodes you first need to learn why it bites. If you realize that your parrot is not actually biting but exploring then simply train your parrot to learn to what degree it can “examine” fingers. When your parrot is “beaking” (not biting) reprimand it with a firm but gentle know “No” or tell it to go “Gentle”. Then push your hand into the beak instead of pulling since this will cause the parrot to break its grip. (very gently) If your parrot is biting out of fear then simply remove your parrot from the stressful situation and avoid such situations next time. But most of all you have to work with your parrot and give it trust building exercises so that it will not get easily frightened and be better adjusted. A good trust building exercise would be to trick train your bird starting with the STEP UP command and progressing to more complicated tricks as the trust between you and your bird increases.

Pay close attention to the parrot's moods and temperament. Give the bird time alone and attention, when it seems appropriate. Most biting can be avoided if you are sensitive to your pet's needs. Learn the behavior of your parrot and when you think he is going to bite. When Chiquita and Boomer are in bad moods I leave them alone. I started learning their moods and behavior and found that if they are in a bad mood I leave them alone.

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
I agree, I think she's just testing them to see what they'll do if she bites. I think that's what it is.
Thank you :)

She doesn't do that with me, just likes to play with her beak (as in not bite down)

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I get tested by Lola (blue and Gold Macaw), they also tend to be nippy because people do not understand their energy level.
Your Loofa may benefit from clicker training. Quakers are really smart, try and get her to focus and get rewarded.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Well Boomer and Chiquita bite but it's more of a love bite. They don't know how strong their beaks are. I know what a real bite feels like and there is a difference. But it does just sound like he is not trying to hurt you but those beaks are strong.

Lunasmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Darlene
I have two Indian Ringnecks....Females. They are noted for being nippy. My green IRN wants to get lovies and sits on my knee, but when I let her on my shoulder, she attacks my ear. meaning the lunge & bite, not just nip. Then I have a bloody ear. She is sweet most other times. I just don't know why she attacks when she is on my shoulder. So I can't allow her on my shoulder any more. I don't know how owners of the big parrots survive getting bitten. I think they are beautiful, but am really afraid of there big beaks.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I can't remember who typed it, but "there's no record of anyone dying from a parrot bite." You just shrug, move on, heal, and try to avoid it in the future. Above all, do not take it personally. Parrots bite, they even bite the ones they love (in the bizzare situation they wind up in when in captivity).

Status
Not open for further replies.