• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nippy cute Liam (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
So I am assuming this is what everyone talks about when they say conures are nippy? L. Angel never got the memo that Green Cheeks are nippy so I haven't dealt with this yet.

Do I treat it the same way as I would hormonal behavior and put him back in his cage? I hate using the cage as a punishment though. I try keeping him off my shoulder but he likes it there lol
He tries to kiss and doesn't know gentle yet. Some kisses are nice others are ouch!
He is still a baby and I think once he started getting nippy they just put him in the cage and sold him. So I don't want him to associate his cage with something bad.

He is such a cutie pie though! Look at that face! Oh and excuse my bed head, lol
[video=youtube;1IX_GS-eGBU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IX_GS-eGBU&sns=em[/video]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We had a Brown Throated quite a few years ago. Mylec was just like Liam, always a bit nippy,never really HARD bites, though. I tried to impress on him that hard bites weren't welcome,with some success. He was also the bird that would fly over to the Christmas tree and hide, then come out to nip at people who would get too close!
I LOVE the little feather sticking out of Liam's head! Cute! :)

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
We had a Brown Throated quite a few years ago. Mylec was just like Liam, always a bit nippy,never really HARD bites, though. I tried to impress on him that hard bites weren't welcome,with some success. He was also the bird that would fly over to the Christmas tree and hide, then come out to nip at people who would get too close!
I LOVE the little feather sticking out of Liam's head! Cute! :)
Thanks! Yes the feather is stuck there, lol I thought it would fall out when I did his pinnies but nope:lol: It gives him character:D

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Rowdy was about the same age as Liam is now when I got her. I didn't put her back in her cage when she bit but on a little play gym. I'd ignore her a couple of minutes, then let her come be with me again. As soon as she bit I'd set her done again and ignore her again. She caught on in a few days.

Even now though she needs to be kept busy or she will chew on me like I'm a toy. So I put a bunch of things around me that she can get into if sitting with me is getting boring.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Rowdy was about the same age as Liam is now when I got her. I didn't put her back in her cage when she bit but on a little play gym. I'd ignore her a couple of minutes, then let her come be with me again. As soon as she bit I'd set her done again and ignore her again. She caught on in a few days.

Even now though she needs to be kept busy or she will chew on me like I'm a toy. So I put a bunch of things around me that she can get into if sitting with me is getting boring.
The play gym is a great idea, I will do that. I did have stuff with me for him to play with but he wasn't interested yet. He is just wants to be on me but seems to have ants in his pants:hehe:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Liam is beautiful!

Matt

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey

The play gym is a great idea, I will do that. I did have stuff with me for him to play with but he wasn't interested yet. He is just wants to be on me but seems to have ants in his pants:hehe:
Yep, so did Rowdy, which is why setting her down and ignoring her worked. Like Liam she had almost no attention once she was weaned and until I bought her at 8 months old, so she was very motivated to be with me.

starla21

Jogging around the block
Liam is so cute......la, la, la, la....then nip! He will soon learn the rules. :D

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wehat a cutie patootie!

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Thanks guys, I have never seen a Cinnamon Turquoise before, he is super cute! His beak seems larger than L. Angels though, maybe because it is white and black is more slimming?:lol:

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Well I think I can give some ideas since my boys name is Nippie . My boy is OCD chewer he chews on everything sometime he trys to remove facial hair and freckles I know he is not a mean bird that is just him so to keep him from biting I usually hold or run his beek between my thumb and pointer finger or redirect his chewing on something else like a napkin or piece of paper. AND remeber he is not trying to be mean usually they are bored unlike my boy who is just plane crazy:D

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
awwww :heart::heart:
He's adorable!

Status
Not open for further replies.