• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nipping vs actual biting?

matcha

Meeting neighbors
Okay so I just got Yoshi the other day, he(?) is settling in decently and slowly learning to step up using a stick. Loves scritchies and will take treats from my hand.
However, he’s still kinda bitey with hands and nips fingers here and there (hence the step up stick technique), but I don’t think he knows how hard he’s biting. Earlier he flew from his cage to the bed and climbed up my shirt and initially started nibbling like he was trying to preen me, which quickly progressed to him biting down on my chest...hard!!! He was preening my hair earlier in a kind of rough way... is it possible he’s just lacking the socialization needed to understand how hard is TOO hard and he isn’t actually attacking me? Either way I’m just a bit confused because there weren’t warning signs (it’s very evident when my other GCCs are about to bite, and one almost never bites any harder than a warning nip) and he was being gentle at first :confused:
Would love some input on this!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
He could very well not understand and he's being curious. I would recommend redirecting his attention to toys and foraging opportunities instead before he gets to a bite.

matcha

Meeting neighbors
Thank you! And thank you again for your behavior advice for Cosmo too :)