• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Nimh is a girl!!!

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I've had Nimh, my Speckled Mousebird, since the beginning of the year. The entire time I was thinking that she was a he. Yesterday I came home quite late in the evening, so popped into the bird room to check how they all were. I didn't want to wake them by switching on the light. As I walked past Nimh's cage, I noticed something pale lying in the bottom. I was confused, as I hadn't given "him" any litchis. Rushed to switch on the light (much to the dislike of sleepy birds), and sure enough, there was an egg! I can't believe "he" is a she :eek: I have a sweet little Mousie girlie :D Unfortunately, the egg had broken, as she had laid it sitting from her usual spot on the side of the cage. I was so taken aback, as she had not been acting nesty or broody which could have hinted that she was wanting to lay :banghead: Maybe mom should pay more attention to her birds? :rolleyes:
IMG-20141207-01629.jpg

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Surprise, Surprise!! :D
I never had this happen but am wondering if you should give her extra calcium now?

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Surprise, Surprise!! :D
I never had this happen but am wondering if you should give her extra calcium now?
:D I am giving her extra now. All my birds get extra as it is. I was really pleased though, because the egg was completely healthy (aside from the big crack in it, silly girl dropped it from her poop spot), so at least I know that she is on a good balance :) I think her varied diet, which is necessary for a softbill, especially one as "sensitive" as a mousebird, has also contributed to that! :)

snada

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Congrats on Nimh being a girl. :) What a surprise! I was really taken back when Tweety laid her first egg as well :wideyed:. Its the season for them now. Every male that walks through the front door at the moment, Tweety has to check them out & flirts with them! :lol: