• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nikon VS Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm aloud to get a Nikon D40 for Christmas which I really want, but now I've seen a Canon Digital Rebel EOS-300D really cheap/affordable and they take amazing photos.. (not that the Nikon doesn't) so I'm stuck. :lol:

Can you guys that either own a Nikon D40 or Canon Digital Rebel EOS-300D tell me the pros and cons to each?

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Someone an hour away from me is selling a Canon EOS 350D, he just sent me photos of it, here's 2 of the photos:

Attachments

Raizer

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shiloh
I'm a big Canon fan myself :)

Ask what the shutter count is!!
What does it included in the way of lenses/accessory's?

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I don't get any of this so I'll post all the stuff lol

Camera Features.
* 8MP CMOS sensor
* 1.8" LCD screen
* 7 AF points
* 3 FPS continuous
* Burst speed of up to 14 shots continuous for full size JPEGs
* E-TTL II Flash

Camera comes with:
* 18-55 mm EFS Lense
* Original canon Battery and charger
* 2GB 133x speed CF card
* All Original cables
* Box
* Manuals
* Camera strap

If there's nothing about shutter in above I'll ask him! he said he'll give me everything and include postage for $500.

ETA:

I forgot this bit

For sale is a fantastic condition 350D body + 18-55mm EFS lens, 2Gb Compact flash 133x speed and camera bag.
I am selling because it has rarely been used and I don't have the time to practice.
The camera has taken approx 2000 actuations most of which was taken in AUTO mode

Definately a fantastic camera for people who are interested in getting into photography without breaking the bank. Has the potential to take magazine quality photos!

Last edited:

Raizer

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shiloh
That does sound like a really good deal!

BUT ask him what the shutter count is before committing to anything!
Under 25,000 would be good, under 15,000 would be great!

EDIT: "
The camera has taken approx 2000 actuations" that's like new!! :) lol

Last edited:

birdman78

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
John
I don't know much about DSLR's yet. But from what I know, a base is a base. The great pics come from the quality of the lens. Might want to do research on other lens you might want in the furture and if they are compatable with the Canon body. But I must say, that is a great price.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
I have a Canon EOS 450D and its one model newer than the 350D (the only real difference is the amount of MP).

I'm absolutely thrilled with this camera. It is absolutely fantastic if you want to get into DSLR cameras for the first time. It is very easy to work and you can just "aim and shoot" if you're in a hurry to capture a shot. Otherwise you have to option to focus it yourself.

I paid $1100 for mine (brand new) and it came with two lenses (18 - 55mm IS and 55 - 250mm IS). So this one you're looking at seems like a good deal.

The 18 - 55mm lens you get with the one you're considering is a very good all rounder. The 55 - 250mm is great for wildlife photography as the zoom is just out of this world!

Ask if the lens that comes with it has an Image Stabilizer (IS). Otherwise you'll have a lot of trouble taking photos that aren't blurry (or at least, I do).

Last edited:

hsmoscout

oh and one more thing...don't judge this based on what people say about different brands. That's like saying all 'toos and the same and all species of 'toos are more cuddly than macaws. :hehe: Pretend they are from the same camera company and then decide based strictly on which is a higher quality piece of equipment. If I could choose between a Canon Rebel XS (1000D) and a Nikon D90, I would pick the D90. If I could choose betwen a Nikon D40 and a Canon 7D, I would go with the 7D. ;)

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I emailed the guy back and said I'll buy the Canon EOS 350D Digital Rebel XT from him. Gonna go pay for it today and he'll send it to me as soon as funds clear so I'll hopefully get it this week. :dance4:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
A bit late, but my piece of advice would have been to go to a store that carries both and try them in your hands.
Getting something you are comfortable with is very important.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
A bit late, but my piece of advice would have been to go to a store that carries both and try them in your hands.
Getting something you are comfortable with is very important.
Not an option here, unfortunately. You can't touch any cameras on display.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I paid for the Camera today, he's sent it today too, so I should get it tomorrow or Friday! I'm exciteed.

Last edited:

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
I am a Nikon gal myself but I think the Nikon vs Canon is like Ford and Chevy.

That being said, the best way to take fantastic pictures is to invest in some good glass (lenses) like John said. They make all the difference in the worls. You will likely upgrade the body as time goes by but the glass you buy can be used for many years to come. I have some 20 year old lenses that I am still using. They don't have all the bells and whistles of today's lenses but they quality is still there!

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I've been looking into more lenses. There's one in a local classifieds.. Canon 24-105mm f4 IS + Hoya 77mm HD UV Filter - $1,100.

Not cheap, but apparently there's some sorta tubes you can get too.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I was so excited, I thought I'd get it today, but nope. :( Hopefully tomorrow..

Status
Not open for further replies.