• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nightfrights and Cage Covering

Birdie76

Walking the driveway
I usually cover his cage at night in hopes to help him with nightfright's. However, I am finding that he doesn't seem to like having his cage fully covered. I came across this quite by accident. .The first thing I have observed is that he still has nightfright's despite the cage being covered at night. I also get up sometimes during the night to use the facilities. When the cage is covered he will often hiss as I go past the cage. Once I say Shalom, Layla Tov he settles down.
One night recently, I had partially covered his cage on three sides with the front left open. I do this in the evenings when he goes home to prepare for nigh-nights. This particular evening I forgot to close it up the rest of the way before I went to bed. No nightfright's, no hissing, he was completely content all night. So I've tried this out for about a week now with the same results. I have a hard time with his nightfright's I can't imagine how difficult it must be for him experiencing it. Personally, I am leaning towards partially covered as it seems to be much better for him emotionally and psychologically.

Is this acceptable? Or does the cage absolutely have to be completely covered?

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I usually only cover the my 'tiels cages on 3 sides. Nothing wrong with doing that. Do you leave a night light on for him? I don't have a night light in the room where my 'tiels are but the main light is connected to a dimmer switch and I dim the light down as much as possible without turning it off.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Not a cockatiel, but my Jardine's sleeps with no cover. He seems to prefer that. Nothing wrong with doing what is best for your family

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I very rarely cover my macaw, when I do he is not impressed. He hisses at every sound and every movement he hears and sometimes just because he wants to, he never does this when he is uncovered though. I think for some of them, not seeing what is making the noises or knowing how close the noise maker is can be more of a worry than a help. Over the years I have had birds who have liked and others that really disliked being covered.
Burt now tries to kill what ever I try to cover his cage with, he actually gets rather agro when he sees me getting the stuff to cover his cage and attempts to stop me by pushing off the cage or pulling into the cage the cover. He does not give up on trying to get the covers for ages and when he finally does he grumbles all night long. I actually believe he has a worse sleep when I cover him.

Marloz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I sometimes cover my birds cage. But my cockatiels don’t care if I cover them or not. It depends how you bird feels comfortable

Birdie76

Walking the driveway
I never covered my other cockatiel though I didn't know back then you were supposed to. I didn't even know about nightfrights as he never suffered from them. I came across some reading material that made it sound like it was pretty mandatory to ensure they get enough sleep. My cockatiel does not sleep as often as they say parrots should. It has nothing to do with me either. He wakes me up sometimes fiddling around in his cage. He always seems very well rested. Though he does like little micro naps on occasion. I try to go with his flow as much as I can. I figure he knows him best.

@iamwhoiam I did have a night light when I first got him. It was for my use however. When the light burned out I didn't replace it cause I was afraid it would affect his quality of sleep. Are night lights ok for them then? Cause I would really prefer a night light they are especially nice for navigating in the dark when needed.

Thank you for the input. I'm glad I am not the only one. I was worried about doing something wrong that perhaps wouldn't be good for him in the long run for whatever reason. @Shezbug I totally agree with you. Sephor seems much more content and reassured at night when I have to get up and walk past cause he can tell it's just me. With the cover I think he panics and lets his birdie imagination get away from him with all sorts of predator fears.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I can't remember how old Sephor is, but my Fergus only experienced this during the first year of life, and then after that nightfrights are quite rare. I do keep a dim lamp on across the room, as you say, much easier to navigate. I think most is what they get used to, and then the actual ritual of putting them night-night is soothing to them if it is done the same way each evening. If it is later than usual (like last night) when I put them to bed, Fergus might be having a midnight snack at the bottom of the cage, but when he sees his night-night blankie (a sheet really), he climbs right up to the rope perches to go to sleep. So sometimes I think it's like a signal to them.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I never covered my other cockatiel though I didn't know back then you were supposed to. I didn't even know about nightfrights as he never suffered from them. I came across some reading material that made it sound like it was pretty mandatory to ensure they get enough sleep. My cockatiel does not sleep as often as they say parrots should. It has nothing to do with me either. He wakes me up sometimes fiddling around in his cage. He always seems very well rested. Though he does like little micro naps on occasion. I try to go with his flow as much as I can. I figure he knows him best.

@iamwhoiam I did have a night light when I first got him. It was for my use however. When the light burned out I didn't replace it cause I was afraid it would affect his quality of sleep. Are night lights ok for them then? Cause I would really prefer a night light they are especially nice for navigating in the dark when needed.

Thank you for the input. I'm glad I am not the only one. I was worried about doing something wrong that perhaps wouldn't be good for him in the long run for whatever reason. @Shezbug I totally agree with you. Sephor seems much more content and reassured at night when I have to get up and walk past cause he can tell it's just me. With the cover I think he panics and lets his birdie imagination get away from him with all sorts of predator fears.

The night light is very helpful with birds that have night frights. It doesn't seem to affect quality of sleep, IMO. Both of the 'tiels are very busy and active the next day. If anything is affecting their sleep, though, it's me, since they are in the dining room and that is also where my computer is and I stay up late. That's another reason I cover both of my 'tiels.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In the past, I always covered my birds when they slept. Now I have just one 8 month old Linnie. The breeder suggested that I not cover her cage and I never have. It's pretty dark in her room although I don't close the door. She hasn't had a night fright that I know of and I'm pretty sure I would hear from my bedroom.

Gigi might hear me in the night if I wake and go into the kitchen. I sometimes hear her bell as she moves and once she did a little wolf whistle at 2AM. :)

Birdie76

Walking the driveway
@Fergus Mom Sephor is roughly 7 1/2-8 months old now. I will continue to cover three sides of his cage partly because it is part of our evening routine. Mainly it is to give him both a bit of privacy and feeling of protection as well as to keep it warmer from possible drafts, especially with winter approaching. We have already had snow. Thankfully it didn't stick even for a day, but it has been quite cold, winter cold for at least a week now.

As I'm writing this, I had to force Sephor for the first time on anything...he tried pecking at me quite a bit more of a scare tactic as it was a bit like his nibbles....he did not want to get off the laptop keyboard and get on Mama...those keyboard keys are far to tempting especially since Mama's beaks (fingers) like them so much!!~! My turn to play....nope, not this time Spoilt Baby. Surprisingly he wasn't mad at me at all and just got done getting his Birdie Spa time before beddie-bye.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Fergus Mom
As I'm writing this, I had to force Sephor for the first time on anything...he tried pecking at me quite a bit more of a scare tactic as it was a bit like his nibbles....he did not want to get off the laptop keyboard and get on Mama...those keyboard keys are far to tempting especially since Mama's beaks (fingers) like them so much!!~! My turn to play....nope, not this time Spoilt Baby. Surprisingly he wasn't mad at me at all and just got done getting his Birdie Spa time before beddie-bye.

Hee hee - I can tell Sephor isn't spoiled or anything! :rofl:

Maybe he can have more keyboard time tomorrow if Mommy is a good Mommy LOL!!!
Sounds like the nibbles are not threatening, and that's a great thing! Yaaaaay Sephor!

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Tinker my CAG was never covered so I didn't bother after we brought him home.
He has never fussed during the night even when I got up for natures calls.

So whatever works for them is ok in my book.

Birdie76

Walking the driveway

Hee hee - I can tell Sephor isn't spoiled or anything! :rofl:
I'm thinking I prefer adequately pampered. When it comes to things like keyboards being ruined....or his safety is involved then the "Spoilt" part ends quickly. I think he is starting to figure out how it works.

They were a little bit more than nibbles but not by much...he was trying to look intimidating but was quite unsuccessful. I did feel bad chasing him all over the keyboard with my arm until he stepped up on it. I knew better to stick my finger out when he is even slightly riled like that...

Mostly due to the fact that my Dad, who is not trying to be mean by the way, has this thing about coming up with his finger out at the bird and attempts to SRITCH him and wiggles his finger like he is saying hello....I've tried....man have I tried to explain birds to him so he can understand. He'd like the bird to like him but doesn't have any interest in investing the time for it to happen...and he seems to get a kick out of the fact that Sephor doesn't seem to like him much.

I've recently started to move Sephor completely out of Dad's reach when he comes up with the finger. I do not want my sweet boy to become mean. And he takes it out on me for a bit until he calms down. If Dad ever gets bit, no matter how badly, I am going to find it hard to feel sorry for him. That may be rude, but since he knows and has been told numerous times very nicely....he's purposely instigating and terrorizing Sephor. He doesn't get it because wiggling a finger isn't fierce, aggressive, combative, or abusive in human perception. He. is. not. a. bird. person.

Yeah, Sephor is quite pampered but he is my baby. He is my only real companion in this life and he keeps me going. I don't know what I would do without him in my life, truly. I treat him no different than I did my children. He gets a lot of freedom; however, there are certain rules. I do my best to be as consistent as possible. Honestly, I just let him be himself and make a lot of his own decisions. That I think is just being both fair and compassionate; considering he had no choice in coming to live with me. He doesn't have to do what I want whenever I want. If he doesn't want to come out of his cage it is fine, I don't get upset. Birds need their "me" time too is how I figure. I wait and offer a bit later. I feel it builds the best relationships with my birds. And the plus side is I know when he chooses to spend time with me he really wants to spend time with me and prefers my company.

After the initial morning kisses I do not smother him, he's allowed to go roam around and explore, forage...and each day it's not long before he seeks me out, climbs up and does what he can to get my attention. This means so much to me that it is quality time spent by choice not by force. It's real bonding and a special relationship that I wouldn't trade for anything. Sorry for the book and getting all sentimental on you all....