• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nightfright x's six!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
first of all, i wanna say everyone is ok. I checked all wings, feet and tail feathers. nothing bleeding, broken or otherwise injured.

just curious, how do you deal with these?

i just got upstairs neighbors today and for some stupid reason, they are moving in NOW, which is 10:35 pm... Well, im pretty sure thats what scared them. Since i now have neighbors, would it be better to leave a dim light on vs covering them totally? since everyone is moulting right now (and my lungs can tell!!) i know blood feathers are coming soon. I dont want anyone to get hurt. I know how to deal with broken blood feathers now, i would just rather not let it come to that.

btw, cutest thing ever, they are all singing all pretty right now and think its time to play! especially thorn... He's gotta be part caique or something, cuz i have never seen a tiel do this! IMG_2967.jpg he's always very "ACTIVE" with his toys. jumping on them and making them swing around. his fave perch is the swing one.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Night light and partial covering work best for my cockatiels. When the tiels night fright, the CAG responds and then everyone reacts.

Moving in at night? Perhaps that is the only time they have to do it?

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I've found that not covering my tiel has put her night frights to 0. Thankfully, she's the only one, and I think knowing she's around other birds makes her feel safe. I hope they're all okay. :hug8: Mickaboo recently had a cockatiel that had a really bad night fright at his new home (he was adopted). Not sure if it was a seizure or other event but he died shortly after. :(

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
I'm glad everybody is okay!

I'd use a nice little night light, I have one in my bird room

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
glad all are ok..hope your upstairs tenants are not going to be the noisy type....I cover all the birds on three sides only and have a night light.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Amanda, I'm soo glad everyone is ok.. :) They can be soo scary for our littles.. Daisy had her first night fright about 2 months ago.. It turns out that we had sleet storm and with the wind it was banging the sleet against the window.. When I got to her, my little girl was thrashing herself around, hissing, obviously very frightened by the whole ordeal.. Thats awesome that your getting a nite light.. :highfive: I always had a night-lite by her cage but now I only partially cover her cage so this way she can peek out if she wants to.. :)

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Poor babies. How dare those new neighbors interupt their beauty sleep! I have a night light in Bodie's room. Why do people have to move in so late?

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I'm so glad to hear your cockatiels are Ok!:) Mine have had night frights in the past too and I have 6 tiels as well. I have a night light in the birdroom, plus I don't cover their cages and I also have an air purifier running in the birdroom and that makes a "white noise" in the birdroom and that seems to keep them calmer and not nearly as many night frights now as they used to have. They used to have them constantly and now they have them maybe 1 or 2 times every few months. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.