• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Night terrors

Required

Moving in
Kiwis night terrors are becoming way more common in the past month since frost has been moving perches at night and frightening him is there any thing I can do about these nightly perch changes. I also let them have 15 minutes to get on the perch and i think that is plenty of time to settle in.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Does Frost have a favourite toy? You could place it right next to where he roosts. Do they have nightlights?
I'm having similar issues right now, but I set up a spy camera yesterday to see exactly who/what triggers it.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've really only had one morning that it seemed there had been a night terror with the boys, and that was a couple of years ago. My Jelly is the night crawler, while Juju stays in one spot. I do have rainfall sounds playing for them overnight on YouTube because the popping and creaking of this house will startle them during the day, and the light from the computer screen provides a bit of a night light.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I would make sure they have a little night light on so that if they do fall or have a night terror they can see to get back up on their perch. I also would try and make sure that once they are covered for the night that they aren't disturbed by any loud noises or a lot of movement around the cage. Once mine are covered for the night I have a sound machine that I turn on for them too so that they have a comforting constant noise on all night.

Required

Moving in
I do have a light night and Frosty always sleeps like... 20200409_080337.jpg
But it seems he gets uncomfortable in the night and moves over with kiwi causing a night terror.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
I do have a light night and Frosty always sleeps like... View attachment 362124
But it seems he gets uncomfortable in the night and moves over with kiwi causing a night terror.
That doesn't look comfortable o_O what if you tried moving those toys to different spots in the cage and placing a perch right in the middle of where those toys are? Maybe he would sit on the perch if he didn't have the opportunity to be in that odd position on those toys?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
That doesn't look comfortable o_O what if you tried moving those toys to different spots in the cage and placing a perch right in the middle of where those toys are? Maybe he would sit on the perch if he didn't have the opportunity to be in that odd position on those toys?
:agreed:
Most small parrots would prefer the highest point in the cage to roost. This looks like a typical example of that. Place a perch there, it'll be a lot more comfortable for him.