• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Night lights?

pawfectly

Walking the driveway
Hello. I am new here.
My ‘tiel is approximately 4 - 5 months old and came home to me in January earlier this year. I also have an IRN who has been with me for almost 7 months.

This is regarding my ‘tiel, Ahmed. He has been getting a lot of night frights lately and I’m worried if he’s gonna hurt himself.

Both the birds go to bed by 7pm (any later and there will be a fit) and both have their cages covered (also a fit if uncovered). I do have a night light in the room (the warm dim red colour kind) but it is not helping with Ahmed’s night frights.

What else can I do? My IRN and ‘tiel’s cage are next to each other (some space in between) and that side is uncovered. Ahmed still get night frights.

I once read that someone got a night cage for the bird’s cage. Should I do this? Can’t imagine this to be comfortable to him to have light directly on your face.

Today, it got a bit bad where he wouldn’t stop screaming and hissing and kept falling down and flapping his wings. I had to take him out to calm him down.

Any ideas?

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I don’t use a night light. I keep a light turned on , and only cover half the cage. This way th bird can choose its level of darkness and see where it’s going if it gets startled.

They say white noise can help also, like the sound of an air filter or fan during the night, so sudden outside noises doesn’t startle them as much.

Good luck I hope he sleeps better!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
For whatever reason, it's common for tiels to have night frights. I used to cover my tiel's cage on three sides completely but only about 2/3s in the front and then had a night light. You can also try a white noise machine in case it's some sound that's bothering him at night.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
My birds aren't prone to night frights, but they do have a nightlight and sound machine in the form of an air purifier in their room. The lowest setting of the nightlight makes a soft blue glow that reminds me of moonlight.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Night frights can be dangerous, but I think with proper lighting he will have much less.

My budgy had a night fright so bad he hurt his wing and pulled out a blood feather. He was shaking and I took him to the vet for painkillers. It was scary , he had to be put in a smaller cage for two weeks. Wasn’t allowed to fly during this time so he could heal. This is when I learned about night frights and using more lighting. This was four years ago, he never had another night fright since.

If all else fails , u can try a designated sleep cage that is smaller so your tiel can’t hurt itself as much.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Also, make sure there aren’t any shadows or lights moving across your birds cage, either from people moving around, cars driving by, or things like that.