• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Night Fright Help

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
Burt has gotten night fright several times since I've had him, but it's never been bad. Maybe once every few months at most. My Gouldian Finches on the other hand seem to have it much more often. Maybe 3-4 times a month if not a little more. Tonight, there were 3 episodes of a night fright which hasn't happened that much before. It also really only seems to be Lecter having the frights. Clarice just seems to build off of him. My birds don't have cage covers since the room has black out curtains, but I keep one of those curtains up for a little bit of light. I've been trying to figure out a way to help them with this, but I keep reading conflicting things. Some stuff I've read has said to make the room completely dark and cover them. Other things have said to give them some light. I'm not really sure what to do. Any suggestions?
Also, here's an innocent picture of them acting like they didn't wake me up several times during the night. IMG_20200824_065613857.jpg

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
They are beautiful!

I think give them a bit of light so as if they have a night fright, they will be able to see where everything is, reducing the chance for injury.

In the wild, all birds will have some form of light whilst sleeping, the moon, stars, even the sun for nocturnal species like owls.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry to hear about the night frights. I always leave a night light on for my cockatiels. Also, if there are windows you have to make sure that things like car lights, etc don't startle them. I do cover my birds but not completely. To cover or not is up to you. Since I leave the night light on, I like to cover at least half of the cage so they have a section where they're not directly exposed to the light.

Eggburt Dobson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Marisa
I'll look for a small nightlight for them since they continue to freak out until I turn a light on and allow them to resituate themselves. Thanks for the advice :)