• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Next trick

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Both of them have recall, target training, and kisses completely under their belt. Almost one a day! Eva learned shake hands in about 10 minutes, Wally is almost there. Still reluctant to do harness training yet, I want to build a bit more trust, but am introducing it to them and they land on it if I’m wearing it on my hand. I’m shocked at how fast they learn tricks. What should I try next that you found easy? They are still figuring things out so not the most clever…and I don’t want to bruise their ego. Wally can sense he is a bit behind and just waits for her to do it and takes her treat haha :banghead: but they obviously can pick things up quickly. I was going to try spin but i may be running out of easy trainable tricks. Anyone with lovebirds that trained them to do anything cool?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Argh, I can’t find the Instagram account I was thinking of. There’s a lady who has lovebirds and they do sooo many tricks it’s awesome. She has them go through her spread (upside down V) fingers, through toilet roll tubes, fly around the room, roll over etc. and then there’s another account with another lady who’s birds use skateboards on ramps, slides, shopping trolley and mini items, they put things in a tiny bin and a heap of other little tricks. If it pops up anytime soon I’ll try to remember to link it here for you.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Argh, I can’t find the Instagram account I was thinking of. There’s a lady who has lovebirds and they do sooo many tricks it’s awesome. She has them go through her spread (upside down V) fingers, through toilet roll tubes, fly around the room, roll over etc. and then there’s another account with another lady who’s birds use skateboards on ramps, slides, shopping trolley and mini items, they put things in a tiny bin and a heap of other little tricks. If it pops up anytime soon I’ll try to remember to link it here for you.
I feel like his destiny is to push around a shopping cart with micro vegetables in there and she might be able to ride a skateboard or roller skates :laugh: It’s so weird because I have cats so outside of wearing a harness and lease, they basically train me. My old girl likes to wake up at 530AM nowadays. I’ve never even wanted to train the birds except out of necessity, like get back here haha. But seeing their response and reaction to it, I feel like I almost have to. I’m trying to turn that energy into toys too

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Wally and Eva learned to “spin” in a very short time yesterday. She is so graceful, like a little ballerina. Wally just looks desperate for his treat, awkward. By far, spin is Wally’s least favorite trick haha. Wanted to buy the skateboard, bowling, shopping cart, ring toss, and basketball toys but it’s like $20 for 3 of these, or more for all. What the heck??

The cutest thing is that when they want to train, they go to their playground and stand on the top, and yell at me, looking like they are ready for their lesson. They look like little eager students hahaha next trick???? Maybe “wings” how would I teach that?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wally and Eva learned to “spin” in a very short time yesterday. She is so graceful, like a little ballerina. Wally just looks desperate for his treat, awkward. By far, spin is Wally’s least favorite trick haha. Wanted to buy the skateboard, bowling, shopping cart, ring toss, and basketball toys but it’s like $20 for 3 of these, or more for all. What the heck??

The cutest thing is that when they want to train, they go to their playground and stand on the top, and yell at me, looking like they are ready for their lesson. They look like little eager students hahaha next trick???? Maybe “wings” how would I teach that?
Lol I’d be excited to find anything for my bird that was only $20, got him 4 new toys the other week (unfortunately crappy selections here) and just one of them toys was $29- he had all parts from the 4 toys finished and in bits in less than an hour!
If they’re not toys that will be destroyed then $20 for 3 is an awesome price.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Lol I’d be excited to find anything for my bird that was only $20, got him 4 new toys the other week (unfortunately crappy selections here) and just one of them toys was $29- he had all parts from the 4 toys finished and in bits in less than an hour!
Haha it’s gotta be hard constantly trying to keep up with him! It’s just funny to spend the $$ and it’s a skateboard and a shopping cart. Like I’ve lost my mind :CRMH:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Haha it’s gotta be hard constantly trying to keep up with him! It’s just funny to spend the $$ and it’s a skateboard and a shopping cart. Like I’ve lost my mind :CRMH:
They will last for a very long time if not forever so I guess you could always disinfect and sell them on if the birds do not take to them?

I tend to make or forage for most of Burts toys and materials, if I lived in the US things would be very different as we would actually have good quality suitable toys available - I am just tired of trying new stores (nice way of saying being ripped off lol) that say their toys are for large birds as here they seem to think that a toy suitable for a large bird is basically just a whole heap of small bird toy parts strung together on a large base to make a huge mess of a toy, there is no thought about how enjoyable, engaging or safe for a large bird this huge thing may be- I do not seem to be able to get through to many of these makers/sellers that stringing a whole box full of tiny slats of wood together does not make a toy suitable for a large bird.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hi

pico can wave spin around both ways flip around rope perch and tunnel go through my hand held as a bridge on my arm

Indie can spin both ways and flip isn’t hand friendly so wave maybe hard to learn

Ellaandthebirds on utube as brill videos for tricks

Attachments