• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newly Splinted Cockatiel - Advice for Next Steps

kalelolail

Sitting on the front steps
So just yesterday my cockatiel fractured his tarsus I really don't want to get into the reason given it involves my dad and I am still very mad. To summarize, he ran him over with his office chair while "they were hanging out." even though I've told him COUNTLESS TIMES to only take Buddy out of the cage when he wants to play with him and give him attention. Not just as a freaking distraction while he works and he forgets about the bird. Anyway, I live in Toronto and I was wondering a few things. First, I don't know if I got overcharged. I simply said yes to everything which seemed reasonable but I walked out with a $715 CAD bill. (Office visit - $120, Rheumocam - $55, Splint - $98, X-rays(3-5) views $225, Induction-Issoflurane O2 $125). It all seems reasonable other than the xray's where they only took two views and I think I got charged the maximum. Anyway, if someone tells me the prices for everything is reasonable I'll forget about it because I want the best life for my BFF.

My main question is when to take him back to the doctor. They told me after 7 days but I don't wanna have to travel another time after these 7 days which would just stress my bird even more resulting in 3 veterinary visits. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with splints and how long they take to heal. I just want to know if it's worth waiting like just 3 extra days with the splint on just to make sure it fully heals. The birdie is pretty calm, is taking his pain meds, is eating, drinking and currently napping given he didn't sleep well last night (I slept with him next to me and I heard him move around all through the night).

Attached are the x-rays. In the second one, you can see the fracture which I am not an expert but it doesn't seem like it broke through the skin or vessels so I am assuming it should heal faster. He is also 5 months and 2 weeks old and is currently starting his first molt. What a bad time to also have a splint on but oh well. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Poor baby.

Vet costs vary greatly, but the total bill doesn't look unreasonable, except the Office visit at $120 seems pretty high.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you take your bird to Links Road? If so, the bill is correct - Links' office visit charge (especially for new patients) has always been that high. I never leave there without plunking down at least $650 lol. Re: splints, my friend had her bird's leg splinted and the results were not that great. The bone did not heal straight. But she also could not afford the other option, which was surgery to put in plates and screws. That would've run in the thousands. I don't remember how long it took for the bone to heal, sorry. It was quite a while ago. Best thoughts to your little buddy!

kalelolail

Sitting on the front steps
Did you take your bird to Links Road? If so, the bill is correct - Links' office visit charge (especially for new patients) has always been that high. I never leave there without plunking down at least $650 lol. Re: splints, my friend had her bird's leg splinted and the results were not that great. The bone did not heal straight. But she also could not afford the other option, which was surgery to put in plates and screws. That would've run in the thousands. I don't remember how long it took for the bone to heal, sorry. It was quite a while ago. Best thoughts to your little buddy!
So I actually took him to Brittania Animal Hospital (It was the only place which would see me the yesterday and they didn't even charge me for an emergency which they said they would on the phone). I do have to say the ladies taking care of Buddy clearly cared for the well-being of him and were very gentle even talking to him while they were explaining stuff to me on the phone given I couldn't walk into the clinic with Buddy. Hopefully the bone heals alright but it does look like the cast is pretty chonky so he can't really stand on it. Thank you also!!