• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newly blind budgie

Farfah

Walking the driveway
My budgie Nimbus recently went blind. I'm still pretty upset about it as I didn't see it coming and neither did the vet. But I am trying to make things as comfortable for him as possible.

For those of you with blind birds, how long did they take to get used to being blind? And did they regain any of their old interests? I ask because Nimbus is no longer interested in eating veggies, taking baths and never sings. He trembles sometimes and falls asleep all the time (I don't think he knows day vs night). The vet thinks this is from the stress of becoming blind.

I installed this rope boing to help him get back into the cage from the top but he hasn't quite figured it out yet. My other bird, Hedwig, is obsessed with the boing and rings the bell all day lol.

20220718_154644.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Did the vet know what caused the blindness?

Farfah

Walking the driveway
Did the vet know what caused the blindness?
Sadly no :( He told me a number of possibilities (virus, brain tumour, developmental, etc.) but he says none of them seem likely. Also, none of them would be treatable so it's not worth putting him thru the stress of all the tests. He had been treated with antibiotics for a bacterial infection about a month before. My poor little guy.

Jemas

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James
Can you tell me how you know he's blind? I see his eye but it just looks like it's half-shut. I'm so sorry to hear this, I hope it's only temporary.

Farfah

Walking the driveway
Can you tell me how you know he's blind? I see his eye but it just looks like it's half-shut. I'm so sorry to hear this, I hope it's only temporary.
Hi Jemas, he's definitely blind. I had him checked by a vet and the vet agreed. But I knew because he was touching everything with his beak before climbing.

I'm afraid things have taken a turn for the worse now and his days are numbered. I suspect it maybe a brain tumour. He's been having seizures and twitches. I'm not going to put him thru anymore in the short time he has left but will probably take him in for a necropsy after he passes.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I adopted a budgie who turned out to be partially blind. He had been living in the wilds of Charlotte, NC. Because he could see a tiny bit, that helped. I made sure to keep the perches in the same places, but could change toys. I had toys that made noise at certain spots in the cage so he could learn the major areas of interest (feeding platform, etc.) When I put food dishes out, I would jingle the nearby bell/toy so he could navigate his way.

Your poor little one is afraid and confused. But he will regain confidence in time. Always start speaking to him when you approach the cage so he is not startled. And definitely speak to him before you ask him to step up or if you need to retrieve him from somewhere.

Be slow and deliberate in your actions around him. You’ll get there!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Hi Jemas, he's definitely blind. I had him checked by a vet and the vet agreed. But I knew because he was touching everything with his beak before climbing.

I'm afraid things have taken a turn for the worse now and his days are numbered. I suspect it maybe a brain tumour. He's been having seizures and twitches. I'm not going to put him thru anymore in the short time he has left but will probably take him in for a necropsy after he passes.
Oh boy, I’m so sorry for your little guy and for your family as well. It’s so hard watching something you love deteriorate. I’m sending you guys lots of good vibes and prayers that the little guy doesn’t suffer and that you guys have time to make a few more unforgettable memories. You are strong and providing him the comfort that he needs during this scary and stressful time.

Farfah

Walking the driveway
I adopted a budgie who turned out to be partially blind. He had been living in the wilds of Charlotte, NC. Because he could see a tiny bit, that helped. I made sure to keep the perches in the same places, but could change toys. I had toys that made noise at certain spots in the cage so he could learn the major areas of interest (feeding platform, etc.) When I put food dishes out, I would jingle the nearby bell/toy so he could navigate his way.

Your poor little one is afraid and confused. But he will regain confidence in time. Always start speaking to him when you approach the cage so he is not startled. And definitely speak to him before you ask him to step up or if you need to retrieve him from somewhere.

Be slow and deliberate in your actions around him. You’ll get there!
Thanks Kassiani! I try to always call him before I approach but sometimes I forget. Slow is key.

Farfah

Walking the driveway
Oh boy, I’m so sorry for your little guy and for your family as well. It’s so hard watching something you love deteriorate. I’m sending you guys lots of good vibes and prayers that the little guy doesn’t suffer and that you guys have time to make a few more unforgettable memories. You are strong and providing him the comfort that he needs during this scary and stressful time.
Thank you for your kind words. It's been really hard for me so it means a lot. I feel really lucky to have had him for his short life and will make the most of his final days.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Thank you for your kind words. It's been really hard for me so it means a lot. I feel really lucky to have had him for his short life and will make the most of his final days.
You got this. They show us how strong we can be. Enjoy your little buddy, take pictures, extra millets haha you are doing great. Sending prayers to little Nimbus. He’s a beautiful bird

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
My Walter is nearly blind and I have a totally blind rooster. Both have adapted well to their blindness. Be patient and make sure you talk to him and tell him what is going on so you don’t startle him. Don’t change his perch locations and make sure you have easily accessible food and water ( preferably in two locations). Having the perches different textures will help him know where he is). You got this!
Ps my rooster doesn’t know day from night so he will crow anytime he is in the mood.

Jemas

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
James

I hope you don't think I was doubting you :( I was merely curious how one could tell blindness in a bird since I'm only familiar with human and feline blindness. I'm so sorry for your little guy. I hope you find peace in the end of his suffering and can reflect happily on the time you spent with him.

Farfah

Walking the driveway
I hope you don't think I was doubting you :( I was merely curious how one could tell blindness in a bird since I'm only familiar with human and feline blindness. I'm so sorry for your little guy. I hope you find peace in the end of his suffering and can reflect happily on the time you spent with him.
Not at all! Sorry if I sounded defensive. It's been a struggle. Thanks for your kind words and concern.

@Wally&Eva It's funny you mention extra millet. I've been feeding him tons of millet and treats and he seems to have made a slight recovery? What a brat lol

Farfah

Walking the driveway
My Walter is nearly blind and I have a totally blind rooster. Both have adapted well to their blindness. Be patient and make sure you talk to him and tell him what is going on so you don’t startle him. Don’t change his perch locations and make sure you have easily accessible food and water ( preferably in two locations). Having the perches different textures will help him know where he is). You got this!
Ps my rooster doesn’t know day from night so he will crow anytime he is in the mood.
I kinda love that he crows whenever he wants. What freedom! Great tips, thank you.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
It's funny you mention extra millet. I've been feeding him tons of millet and treats and he seems to have made a slight recovery? What a brat lol
They can always get it together for millets :facepalm:

Farfah

Walking the driveway
So a quick update… I was pretty sure Nimbus was near death so I started feeding him A LOT of treats and he started to get better. He seems to have somewhat stabilized but I think the illness is degenerative because I'm seeing other problems now like head twitching and feet weakening.

I noticed he had some poop stuck to his butt so I washed it off for him but I think the water irritated him and now he's constantly rubbing his butt on stuff. Wondering if there's something I can do to help? Coconut oil? Or maybe I've done enough...

signal-2022-08-13-10-55-09-850.jpg

Attachments

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm curious if your budgie boy is still eating? Do you feed your birds pellets and veggies as well as seed? How old is Nimbus?

And, well, when he rubs his bottom on things, does it look like the behavior between 0:19 and 0:26 of the video below?

Farfah

Walking the driveway
He's refusing to eat anything except seed, Avi cakes, Nutriberries and very small amounts of veg. I had him on a pellet and veg diet before but he got sicker and refused to eat them. That behavior doesn't really looks like his. He mostly just sits and sleep to be honest :(

He was having problems with constipation before but it seems to be better since I started adding veg (he eats very little) and a few drops of olive oil to his seed. I also make him walk around on the ground a few times per day. I think the constipation also irritated his butt.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Budgies are notorious seed addicts because most are weaned onto seeds because it’s faster for the breeders. To get my own 2 seed addicts to eat veggies, I have to chop them up very small and mix them with sprouted seeds and legumes. Maybe try some of the dry seed mixed with finely chopped veggies? They can’t help but get some veg when they go for the seeds.