• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newly Adopted Green Wing Macaw

CVT242

Moving in
So my fiancé decided to adopt an 8 year old macaw that supposedly its previous owner died and their children didn’t want the bird. In rescue bird was apparently an angel loved everyone etc. personally I think he was scared and overwhelmed also due to the fact that he plucked most of his feathers out. We’ve had him about 2 months now and I’ve got several questions and would appreciate any help.

So the bird started out liking myself as I spend all day with him however soon he showed that he much prefers my fiancé. He will immediately go to him if given the choice and he guards him from me if I dare to get near. He’s even nailed me pretty good a few times purely because I was too close to his buddy. Now if my fiancé isn’t home the bird will allow me to hold him and feed him and even sits on me and talks to me. Funny part is he doesn’t talk to my fiancé but he’ll talk with me and dance and sing. So thankfully I can handle him fine on my own. But any advice to help the aggression would be nice. I also give him his favorite treats to try and be the good guy.

My question though is in some body language as I can’t seem to find concrete answers. He often dances back and forth on his feet with his wings half open. He does this to me a lot and I’m not sure if it’s aggression or showing off or wanting attention.

He also rubs his head on both of us around our necks and whatnot not sure if it’s good or bad. And since I’ve been bitten a good amount I’m kinda more reserved with him because I don’t trust him.

Sorry this is so jumbled I’m busy cleaning and whatnot while watching him as he’s quite the clingy parrot. Doesn’t want you out of his sight. And wants everything you have.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Your 8 year old GW is at the height of his sexual maturity. It may last for another 10 years. This article may be helpful to you.
Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

I had two GWs for 15 and 18 years - a boy and a girl. I got both of them as mature birds and neither ever choose me as a sexual partner and both were my friends.

As I understand from others, because the bird has chosen your fiancé, any time you are present when he is there, the bird will view you as an interloper. Don't show your fiancé any affection when the bird is present - don't even get too close to him. Continue to be the one who feeds him - especially special treats and talks to him and feeds him. It will take a long, long time, but I suspect that your bird will come around and consider you a friend. That's much better than him choosing you as a mate.

Others who have dealt with this problem will come along and help you.

Welcome to AA.

CVT242

Moving in
Thank you for the article and information , I had actually read it previously. The hormonal thing did come to mind with him.

As for myself and fiancé when they are together I make myself scarce. I’ve learned my lesson after getting bitten enough haha. I think he sort of sees me as a friend which is good enough for me. Thankfully I can handle him no problem sans fiancé so it’s something. I’m hoping he’ll settle more in later years past peak sexual maturity.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
When he's dancing from foot to foot with his wings half open he's asking to be picked up. The head rubbing is affection and he may let you pet him at these times, but be careful if he has any pin feathers - they're touchy about those and can be quick to discipline!

Good luck with your boy; from all that I've read a hormonal male green wing can be a force of nature!

CVT242

Moving in
Finally! I had a feeling it might be for attention or he wanted to fly. Which unfortunately he came clipped so he can’t at the moment. Thank you for all the answers! And yep I keep reading they can be a hell of a thing. I’m trying to limit the triggers for it all as best I can so fingers crossed haha

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Oh, and please don't allow him on your shoulder. They can do massive damage with that 800lb/inch pressure beak.

Remember that all Pirates have two things in common. A parrot on their shoulder and a patch over their eye.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
When he's dancing from foot to foot with his wings half open he's asking to be picked up.
Really? :huh: When Buzzard wants to be picked up he's not as subtle as your guys. He'll hurry across his play stand or cage to get as close to you as possible then hold out his foot like"Hold me!!" :hilarious:

Buzz does two variations of that dance. If he's relaxed about it and wiggles like an eager child or a penguin, I guarantee you he's begging. :xflove: When his body and movements are more rigid and his head is turned sideways with his eye pinning, something is stressing him out. (If I don't move whatever is upsetting him, he will either start screaming or reach back with his head and pull straight up at his flight feathers in a sort of repetitive tugging motion. He doesn't pull them out, it's more like someone might pull at their hair when they're frustrated? Took me a while to figure out what his feather tugging meant.)

So the bird started out liking myself as I spend all day with him however soon he showed that he much prefers my fiancé. He will immediately go to him if given the choice and he guards him from me if I dare to get near. He’s even nailed me pretty good a few times purely because I was too close to his buddy. Now if my fiancé isn’t home the bird will allow me to hold him and feed him and even sits on me and talks to me. Funny part is he doesn’t talk to my fiancé but he’ll talk with me and dance and sing.

I think @Macawnutz has a similar situation with her BG Korbel. She may have some advice. :)

Buzzard has chosen me, but hubby was patient and kept trying to make friends with Buzz. At first, Buzzard would lunge and try to bite hubby and didn't care about treats. Over the time hubby slowly started to wear him down & Buzzard became more used to him. They made a lot of (slow) progress. Buzz began letting hubby drop a nut in his bowl or take one from a serving spoon without attacking, then he would take a nut from him directly without hissing anymore but he'd still fluff up. After about 8 months hubby was able to get him to step up to go get a treat from the countertop. Now Buzzard will even step from my arm to hubby's! :dance5:

It might take a long time to get to where you want to be, but you'll see so many tiny improvements that I bet you'll be there before you know it. :pinksmile:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
he’s quite the clingy parrot. Doesn’t want you out of his sight.
Buzzard was the same way at first. The only solution I could come up with was a rolling play stand but I couldn't afford anything I liked that was big enough for macaws. I ended up getting a rolling
garment rack at Walmart for $50 and adding a rope perch and vet wrap. It's a double garment rack so it's big and sturdy, plus the wheels are big enough to roll smoothly between carpet & tile and it fits through our doors. It's pretty large, so sometimes I have to leave it in the hallway so I can move around the room I'm in, but at least he was able to see me and wouldn't get worked up.

Better Homes & Gardens® Double Hanging Garment Rack, Gunmetal Finish - Walmart.com I just assembled it with the shelves in different positions than the instructions, but it works great.

0719171746-1-1.jpg

CVT242

Moving in
Oh, and please don't allow him on your shoulder. They can do massive damage with that 800lb/inch pressure beak.

Remember that all Pirates have two things in common. A parrot on their shoulder and a patch over their eye.
We don’t allow him on our shoulders anymore that picture was when we picked him up from the rescue. Believe me I don’t trust him up there.

CVT242

Moving in
Buzzard was the same way at first. The only solution I could come up with was a rolling play stand but I couldn't afford anything I liked that was big enough for macaws. I ended up getting a rolling
garment rack at Walmart for $50 and adding a rope perch and vet wrap. It's a double garment rack so it's big and sturdy, plus the wheels are big enough to roll smoothly between carpet & tile and it fits through our doors. It's pretty large, so sometimes I have to leave it in the hallway so I can move around the room I'm in, but at least he was able to see me and wouldn't get worked up.

Better Homes & Gardens® Double Hanging Garment Rack, Gunmetal Finish - Walmart.com I just assembled it with the shelves in different positions than the instructions, but it works great.

View attachment 288252
Thank you for the recommendation that’s actually a really good idea.

CVT242

Moving in
Really? :huh: When Buzzard wants to be picked up he's not as subtle as your guys. He'll hurry across his play stand or cage to get as close to you as possible then hold out his foot like"Hold me!!" :hilarious:

Buzz does two variations of that dance. If he's relaxed about it and wiggles like an eager child or a penguin, I guarantee you he's begging. :xflove: When his body and movements are more rigid and his head is turned sideways with his eye pinning, something is stressing him out. (If I don't move whatever is upsetting him, he will either start screaming or reach back with his head and pull straight up at his flight feathers in a sort of repetitive tugging motion. He doesn't pull them out, it's more like someone might pull at their hair when they're frustrated? Took me a while to figure out what his feather tugging meant.)

I think @Macawnutz has a similar situation with her BG Korbel. She may have some advice. :)

Buzzard has chosen me, but hubby was patient and kept trying to make friends with Buzz. At first, Buzzard would lunge and try to bite hubby and didn't care about treats. Over the time hubby slowly started to wear him down & Buzzard became more used to him. They made a lot of (slow) progress. Buzz began letting hubby drop a nut in his bowl or take one from a serving spoon without attacking, then he would take a nut from him directly without hissing anymore but he'd still fluff up. After about 8 months hubby was able to get him to step up to go get a treat from the countertop. Now Buzzard will even step from my arm to hubby's! :dance5:

It might take a long time to get to where you want to be, but you'll see so many tiny improvements that I bet you'll be there before you know it. :pinksmile:
I do worry sometimes it’s a stress thing but I’m still learning his quirks. Thankfully he lets me handle him fairly well and works with me. It’s just when fiancé is there I’m the evil competition so I kindly step away.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats!!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Side to side sway with slight open wings says "I want to go". If they are leaning way forward it's usually "I want to fly".

Macaws can be very one personed. My sweetest favorite bird really loves my husband more than me and because I love him I have to be okay with that. He is my bird until 5pm when my husband comes home and then if I look at my husband he wants to attack me. :laugh: At first it was hard, learning all his rules for this love triangle but staying calm and watching body language will teach you with time.

New macaws take time. He might change that favorite person 5 times before being sure. :laugh: Just be the one has the best treats and is the most fun.