• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newly Adopted Blue Front UnGODLY sexual towards me

ChicosMom

Moving in
Real Name
Dawn Mooney
We just got a Blue Front Amazon and he's the sweetest boy but I can't even talk to him now even in a lower voice without him trying to regurgitate for me and if I hold him pretty soon every single time he tries to "mate" with my hands or whatever making his chuffing sounds and tucking his vent in towards my hand. I put him back in his cage, I've tried as suggested to not touch him for 24 hours and see if he still does it and he does. He's not aggressive one bit. Very gentle and loving. He can even be out of his cage on the floor and he starts up. Any ideas to make this stop? It's August for goodness sake I didn't think they were this way at this time of year. Any help is greatly appreciated.

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Oh wow, sorry. :heart2: Try hands off approaches when training and interacting like target training. Remove anything from the environment that may be triggers such as dark cavities, shreddable nest material and cut down the fruit and fat in your bird's diet.

Reactions: Ali

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My Mealy is like that a lot! If I talk to him, he squats, rocks and starts clucking at me.
I just laugh and walk away.
Can't really stop it, just don't encourage it.
I'd not do much holding for now. Just ambient company.

BirdView

Strolling the yard
My amazon is still young, so I don't have any experience about this behavior but I am curious how do you prevent your bird from flying to you. My double yellow headed gets agitated when I put him in his cage but when I let him out he wants to perch on my shoulder the whole time and yes he keeps pooping on me. I probably change my shirt 10 times a day. Is there a way to train him not to perch on my shoulder or at least not to poop on me? Sorry to hijack your thread :)