• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newely adopted 3 year old gcc charging, drawing blood

Memowe

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone! My boyfriend and I recently adopted a green cheek conure from a colleague of mine whose girlfriend(who originally purchased the bird) broke up with him and left the bird. His owner had been trying to work with him, but his children were terrified of the bird, and didn't know anything specific about parrot care. He knew that my bird was spoiled to death, and we agreed that we would try to make the best home for the bird. This bird is named Goblin, has never been to a vet, not sexed, and eats a seed diet. His previous owner was able to handle him, but Goblin would bite everyone else.

We have a year and a half old gcc (Cecil) that is nippy, but very sweet and mischevious. He is flighted, knows a few tricks, and tolerates most strangers. Cecil and the new bird are in separate rooms, and Cecil is vaccinated, goes to the vet regularly, and is overall a healthy happy boy.

Now on to Goblins behaviors. Goblin is fairly ok with me, when I approach the cage and talk to him he comes over and chatters, follows me around and I've been giving him treats. However when my boyfriend approaches Goblin gets very upset (fans tail, Bobs head, chatters aggressively), more so chases him around the cage when he moves to a different location, and attempts to bite through the bars when treats are offered.

I let Goblin out for the first time today, just opened his doors and allowed him to decide what he'd like to do. He flew over to me and calmly perched on my shoulder, which I do not want at this time as I don't trust him yet. I layed down, and attempted to get him off without using my hands as he bites incredibly hard. My boyfriend entered the room to assist, and Goblin immediately got agitated. We eventually got him off into the ground where we began working with him on his aggression towards hands.

This is when I noticed I can put my hand near him, less than 2 inches away, with little reaction, but when my boyfriend shows his hands Goblin will charge off of me and run 3 feet and attempt to bite his hands or exposed skin.His bites consistently draw blood as he lunges very quickly and latches on.

Is there any tips on dealing with this aggression? Also any ideas what may be causing him to dislike men, when he previously only liked 1 male? He will be going to the vet Saturday for a full work up, he has a set bedtime, and we are doing what we can at this time but we'd like advice on working on his behaviours ontop of what the vet has to say. We are also attempting to work him onto a pellet diet.

20191201_112224.jpg

Last edited:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome have your boyfriend start from the beginning and read to him without you in the room every your boyfriend comes bye and have your boyfriend give the bird a treat with the bird in the cage and your boyfriend outside the cage just dropped a treat in talking softly to him if he gets aggressive don’t look at him stare at him and move further from the cage and just read to him he gets better and not as agitated I hope this makes sense but your boyfriend has to build up trust with the bird and learned that he is good good things for him you’ve only had the bird a short while and it takes a lot of patience and time

Memowe

Meeting neighbors
Welcome have your boyfriend start from the beginning and read to him without you in the room every your boyfriend comes bye and have your boyfriend give the bird a treat with the bird in the cage and your boyfriend outside the cage just dropped a treat in talking softly to him if he gets aggressive don’t look at him stare at him and move further from the cage and just read to him he gets better and not as agitated I hope this makes sense but your boyfriend has to build up trust with the bird and learned that he is good good things for him you’ve only had the bird a short while and it takes a lot of patience and time

Thank you for the advice! I've been working from home lately and have had more time to spend with him as he is in the office, I'll definetly give my boyfriend this advice!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
He's beautiful. Congrats! I have a link to Monica's training information in my signature. Cheekies can be...well...cheeky buggers.