• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newcastles Disease Still Spreading in So. CA

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
This Newcastle Disease is plenty scary already, but that is so sad that those chickens had to be destroyed because of it, too. I hope it is stopped soon.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
It makes me worried about having outside time with the birds. :(

We've been sticking with sunny windows for the past couple of months.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I already keep the dogs away from wild bird feathers and such when we're out walking because I'm worried about them carrying in regular bird germs, but lately I'm extra worried because "what if...." I know Newcastle isn't in my area yet, and hopefully never will be, but I don't want our guys to be the first. :(

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
When I lived near Vegas we had a Newcastle's outbreak. Talk about fear!

Every bird owner/breeder I know shut their birds up.
No visitors, clothes at the door, it was crazy.
I knew one large breeder that disinfected his tires every time he drove into his yard.

Scary contagious.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How was it resolved & about how long did it take?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
This was over 20 years ago, I remember Chaos was very young. It lasted most of one summer. I can't even remember where it started, but I'm guessing CA.
I'm not sure how it was resolved, my recollection though is the destroying of any bird/flock they found infection in.
They also stopped all over state-line travel for anything avian. People were afraid to take their bird to the vet for anything.
Mostly foul were destroyed but there were rumors that a Vegas parrot flock was also destroyed and a few flocks (parrots) in California.
I'm not 100% sure on that, the fear had people way over reacting. No one I personally knew lost any birds.

I also think it wasn't 20 years ago, Chaos was a few years old. Probably 15 years or so ago.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Although the USA is one of the very lowest on the list of Newcastle's Disease, we have had several over the years. Here is a short history of outbreaks in the US.

"Exotic Newcastle disease was first diagnosed in two unrelated cases in the United States: in August 1970 in a pet-shop bird in New York City; and in chickens in El Paso County, Texas. The virus was later isolated in Massachusetts, New Mexico, Florida, California, Connecticut, Puerto Rico, Illinois, Arizona, Georgia, and Colorado. The probable source in most outbreaks was imported pet birds, especially psittacine and mynah birds. Secondary outbreaks in domestic poultry, spread from primary introductions via imported birds, occurred in California and are suspected to have occurred in Florida. Outbreaks in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona were probably caused by virus transported via infected or exposed game chickens or on the clothing of Mexican day laborers. Federal and state quarantines have been placed on infected areas to combat spread. On March 14, 1972, the Secretary of Agriculture declared an emergency because of the threat posed to the entire U.S. poultry industry by exotic Newcastle disease. In a program to eradicate the disease, 9,677,457 birds in 910 flocks had been destroyed in California, Florida, Arizona, Colorado, and Texas by December 31, 1972, with indemnity payments of $18,610,071 from federal funds and $259,400 from state funds. In addition, a federally sponsored vaccination program was carried out in the quarantined area in California. Exotic Newcastle disease in the United States is part of a worldwide pandemic beginning in 1967 in all major poultry-producing and bird-growing countries."

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
a million birds :sad1:

a federally sponsored vaccination program was carried out in the quarantined area in California.
There's a vaccine?? Is that something you can get at the vet?