• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Newby

Shelle

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, I rescued two GCC from gross petco, poor things were in horrible condition and im thrilled to have been able to help! We have our first vet appointment tomorrow and im scared to death. Do I have beak trimmed with nails? I am seeing conflicting opinions on if it's needed and how often and if it's cruel. They are very fearful birds but making great progress coming out of their cages and targeting. I am afraid they will backslide, oh and scared of hands, ugh. HELP please anyone! I am really happy to have found this group!

Attachments

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Your bird's beak looks fine in the picture. You know whether the nails are sharp or not. Trimming is not cruel unless done roughly or incorrectly. This encompasses the means of restraint and the method of trimming. An avian vet SHOULD be able to determine whether or not the bird's beak needs attention. Beak grooming is not necessary, usually, if the bird has access to destroyable toys and a varied diet. Exceptions include old age, a medical issue causing overgrowth, a beak anomaly, like scissor beak, etc.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Shelle

Checking out the neighborhood
Your bird's beak looks fine in the picture. You know whether the nails are sharp or not. Trimming is not cruel unless done roughly or incorrectly. This encompasses the means of restraint and the method of trimming. An avian vet SHOULD be able to determine whether or not the bird's beak needs attention. Beak grooming is not necessary, usually, if the bird has access to destroyable toys and a varied diet. Exceptions include old age, a medical issue causing overgrowth, a beak anomaly, like scissor beak, etc.
Thank you! He has plenty of toys, eats chop in am and pellets for dinner, nuts for training. I am not sure on his nails as he is still afraid of hands that we are working on. They don't look terribly long to me.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome!! :hello1:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:welave:
Congratulations on your new ones!
Most parrot's never need beak trims. Yours look fine. It usually only needed if they have malformation, or psst t injury that makes beak grow weird, or from health issues poor diet. Stuff like that . I e never had a parrot that needed trims.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
:hello: Welcome to the Avenue and congrats on your new additions. The vet can trim their nails during your appointment and check their beaks for you. It's hard to see them clearly in the pics, but no matter, the vet will trim if needed.
Apart from that, lots of toys :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!