• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newborn rabbit advice?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd also be leery of being involved in this situation. If you have to give the babies back, how will you feel knowing the mother was in such a state yet no one sought to help her? I'd not want to give these people any living thing.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
it's too late now to try mama, if you fed them with formula, mama will reject them and some time kill them. better off to do your best, keep them warm, fed and safe JMHO

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Ok well I’m praying for these babies, and if it’s too late to try to get the mom involved that is really sad, but she wasn’t giving them any attention so maybe it’s for the best! (I hope!) but the babies are doing really well so far; peeing, pooping and suckling like crazy!! Please prat for these babies I’m just going to do my best and try to see if I can get help for the mom, too!!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Ok well I’m praying for these babies, and if it’s too late to try to get the mom involved that is really sad, but she wasn’t giving them any attention so maybe it’s for the best! (I hope!) but the babies are doing really well so far; peeing, pooping and suckling like crazy!! Please prat for these babies I’m just going to do my best and try to see if I can get help for the mom, too!!
Good luck then! Please keep us updated.
And just for future reference, mother rabbits don't tend to make a fuss over their babies for fear of drawing unwanted (predator) attention to them. They often look like they're ignoring them, but only when you're around.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I would have written some of this information but it was easier to google a page that contains all the information on how mother rabbits are with their babies. I used to raise rabbits a little over twenty years ago and all of the information on this page is correct:

Edited to add... when you read this page you may have a better understanding why the owners thought the mother wasn't taking care of the babies because .... they just didn't know if this was a first time litter for them.

Gigibirds

Oh wow, thank you so much! So far, the babies are doing great! They are amazing at sucking up their formula, and starting to get a bit of fur on their heads and hind areas. It was an unexpected litter, so I suppose they just wrongly interpreted the mother's care. Also, just today I saw that all 3 babies had two rows of 4 little dots on their tummies. Are those their......um.....future milk makers? And does that make them all females? I would be very surprised if ALL 3 were girls, but they all had the little dots.......

But thank you everyone for all of your help and support!! I really appreciate it :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh wow, thank you so much! So far, the babies are doing great! They are amazing at sucking up their formula, and starting to get a bit of fur on their heads and hind areas. It was an unexpected litter, so I suppose they just wrongly interpreted the mother's care. Also, just today I saw that all 3 babies had two rows of 4 little dots on their tummies. Are those their......um.....future milk makers? And does that make them all females? I would be very surprised if ALL 3 were girls, but they all had the little dots.......

But thank you everyone for all of your help and support!! I really appreciate it :)
You really can't sex them until they are at least 6 weeks. Eight weeks and it's more obvious when you gently pull the skin back around the genitals... Little boys have a pop up doughnut thingy and little girls have a slit. It's the only way I know how to describe it.

A rudimentary video demonstrating how to sex young rabbits. Personally, I would not pick them up by the nape of the neck and I would sit in a chair, lay the bunny on it's back on my lap, gently wedge the head between your knees and they are usually more calm while taking a look.

Gigibirds

Ok, thank you! Yes, I heard that you can't sex them until they are a bit older, but still......I was wondering! Thanks!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Ok, thank you! Yes, I heard that you can't sex them until they are a bit older, but still......I was wondering! Thanks!
I can't remember what age the males are when their testicles drop... but they do. Just not as obvious as some animals unless you're looking in the 'nethers'.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

FYI, almost all mammals have nipples regardless of their sex.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Almost all mammals do, yes! Exceptions I know of are:

Most rodents (including rats and mice)
Horses
Platypus and Echidna (neither male or female have nipples)

Rabbit males, from my understanding do, but they are less prominent than on their female counterparts.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Update on these little guys?

I love bunnies! We raise and show long haired rabbits :)

Gigibirds

Hey! Update: So the bunnies all survived, and they live in a really great place now :) They are all healthy and happy, and I have to admit that I am quite proud of myself for successfully raising them! Sorry for the lack of pictures, but hopefully you can just imagine three adorable, happy, healthy little buns :) I’m so happy about them!!

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Hey! Update: So the bunnies all survived, and they live in a really great place now :) They are all healthy and happy, and I have to admit that I am quite proud of myself for successfully raising them! Sorry for the lack of pictures, but hopefully you can just imagine three adorable, happy, healthy little buns :) I’m so happy about them!!
That’s awesome! We’re you able to have the momma bunny help or it was just love and hand feedings?

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Wonderful update! You did an awesome job!