• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newborn rabbit advice?

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
So, we somehow ended up with 3 newborn rabbits. (Don’t even ask me how - I have no idea how we got talked into this!) And when I say newborn I mean I saw the mom give birth this morning. And we will be taking care of them for the first few weeks of their lives! They are currently in a plastic tub like what I used for hand rearing baby lovebirds. There is a heating pad in the bottom, then a puppy pee pad and then some carefresh on top. So we made up a baby rabbit formula using someone’s recipe, and we already gave the their first feeding. (Which they took so well!!!!) They are being kept in a warm and quiet room, and there is a dark towel over their brooder, with one corner open to let in air. So what do you think of my setup? Is it ok? What changes should I make? And really I will appreciate any tips you have!! Thank you and have a great day!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
make sure to rub their lower bellies to get them to poop. plan on feeding them every 3-4 hours if they are newborns and find a REHAB in the morning please

Gigibirds

The mother was unable to care for them, and we are the best rehab option at the moment! But I will look in to getting them in the care of professionals ASAP. But thank you @finchly, and @rocky'smom thank you for that great advice!!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
this should help you until you can get rehab found.
i raised baby cottontails when i was in high school. there was 7 we raised 6 of them. once they had their eyes open and were furred they lived in beer crate with screen over it, in our bathtub. they could hop hard enough to knock the window screen off the crate. bunnies in the bathtub every morning.

Last edited:

Gigibirds

Oh wow, thank you! That looks like such an amazing site! Raising six cottontails must have been very exciting! How did you ever manage all the feedings?! I am very excited to learn more about these little cuties!!! That site will be so helpful for me in the mean time; thank you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
find a REHAB in the morning please
I agree. They need someone experienced to care for them.
If you struggle locating a rehab facility, call vets and ask where to turn.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If they’re wild, you having them is likely illegal; it is in Canada.

They’re probably not abandoned. Rabbits don’t hang out by their nest to avoid attracting predators. Newborns nurse only a few times a day.

If they’re domestic, get the mother & bring them all to a shelter.

If they’re wild, put them back where they were taken from. It may already be too late, but’s with a try.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Keep feeding with the formula, if they end up not being taken back by the mom.
You can do this; my daughter fed some when dogs killed our mother rabbits. She was 8 . She forced a hamster bottle into their mouths. At 4 weeks we gave them unlimited alfalfa hay.

Gigibirds

It is not illegal where I live to keep these rabbits. (don't worry - I checked! ;)) Thank you @finchly for the support! And the mom was blind, and too young to care for this litter (yes, I know, terrible conditions, and they SHOULD NOT have been allowed to breed!! But I want to try to help these sweeties and give them a good life :) ) Also wow, that is amazing that as an 8 year old she could raise them so well! Congrats to her!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
SHOULD NOT have been allowed to breed
So these are from someones pets? Honestly, I think calling your vet is a good idea, they might just take them off your hands, or at least give you some help on how to care for these little ones.

Gigibirds

Probably a good idea......I honestly don't even know if my vet does anything other than birds though!! My dog has a dog & cat ONLY vet, but I'm not so sure about my birds' vet! I'll try that though, thank you!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I guess they're domestic too, Zara. Wildlife throughout Canada & the US is protected from the public appropriating them.

In that case, give them back. A blind, young, domestic bunny can raise her own young.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Gigibirds

Well the mother was also generally unhealthy, and they were given to us because she wasn't taking care of them properly. The babies were kind of dumped on us, and so there is no way we can just 'give them back'. :( I wish we could, but they would probably just be left to die :(
But great @Zara! I really hope they do know someone who can take them in or give us some help!!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, just because a bun is blind isn't a reason to remove their kits.

Can you borrow the mother temporarily to raise them?

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it's hard for us humans to understand how much other animals rely on other primary senses; we really like sight.

I just thought of another suggestion. Perhaps you could call shelters & rescues. They can attempt to foster these kits out to other rabbits with kits of their own.

Gigibirds

Ooh, that's an interesting idea, borrowing the mother! I could call a shelter/rescue, but these babies technically aren't ours, so I would have to ask about that. (The owners still love and want the babies, but they just couldn't take care of them, so I'll still have to return them when they are grown up :( )

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Well the mother was also generally unhealthy, and they were given to us because she wasn't taking care of them properly. The babies were kind of dumped on us, and so there is no way we can just 'give them back'. :( I wish we could, but they would probably just be left to die :(
But great @Zara! I really hope they do know someone who can take them in or give us some help!!
In what way was she not caring for them? You said they were only born that morning, how long did she get to try? I think you should try and give momma another go, she has a better chance at caring for them then anyone else.