• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newborn lovebird Feeding

Lovybird-L

Moving in
Real Name
Gulbahar
Hello everybody!
This is my first time posting a thread on Avian Avenue; please excuse me for any mistakes.

I have 2 lovebirds, Arya (female) and Floofy (male). They are both first time parents. Today their first (out of 4) hatched, Buttercup. This is my first time dealing with a bird of this age, so I wanted to keep things natural and let the parents take care of Buttercup themselves. Everything is going well so far. They are very protective and engaged.

However, I heard that chicks needed to be fed every 1-2 hours throughout the day at this age!!
I usually let my birds sleep in the dark for 12-13 hours a day, and they don't really eat during that time (there are pellets in the cage tho).

Will my hen be able to handle feeding the chick for 12 hours? Can she find Buttercup in the dark and feed her? And will she have enough food through the night (she went to sleep with a full crop)?
I don't have a brooder, and I'm afraid of taking the chick out of the nest, because I can't keep waking my birds every 2 hours to feed her myself.

What is usually done in this situation? Do I just let them sleep like normal for 12 hours or wake them up earlier to feed them?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue,

Usually they will take care of the chicks and feed them throughout the night. The male goes to the food bowl and returns to the nest to feed the hen while she broods the chicks. Then one of the parents will then feed the chicks.

Some new parents may struggle with the concept. You could shorten nighttime to 10 hours, and check in half way to see how the chicks crops are doing.

Lovybird-L

Moving in
Real Name
Gulbahar
Hello everybody!
This is my first time posting a thread on Avian Avenue; please excuse me for any mistakes.

I have 2 lovebirds, Arya (female) and Floofy (male). They are both first time parents. Today their first (out of 4) hatched, Buttercup. This is my first time dealing with a bird of this age, so I wanted to keep things natural and let the parents take care of Buttercup themselves. Everything is going well so far. They are very protective and engaged.

However, I heard that chicks needed to be fed every 1-2 hours throughout the day at this age!!
I usually let my birds sleep in the dark for 12-13 hours a day, and they don't really eat during that time (there are pellets in the cage tho).

Will my hen be able to handle feeding the chick for 12 hours? Can she find Buttercup in the dark and feed her? And will she have enough food through the night (she went to sleep with a full crop)?
I don't have a brooder, and I'm afraid of taking the chick out of the nest, because I can't keep waking my birds every 2 hours to feed her myself.

What is usually done in this situation? Do I just let them sleep like normal for 12 hours or wake them up earlier to feed them?
Edit: Hello! This is the next day, and Buttercup is doing well; she survived the night, and another chick has hatched. The parents are taking good care of them.

Lovybird-L

Moving in
Real Name
Gulbahar
Welcome to the Avenue,

Usually they will take care of the chicks and feed them throughout the night. The male goes to the food bowl and returns to the nest to feed the hen while she broods the chicks. Then one of the parents will then feed the chicks.

Some new parents may struggle with the concept. You could shorten nighttime to 10 hours, and check in half way to see how the chicks crops are doing.
Thank you very very much! Much appreciated!

qsyed

Moving in
Real Name
unknown
Hi Lovybird,

Just following up from your last post - How are your lovebirds and the little ones doing?

Thanks

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi Lovybird,

Just following up from your last post - How are your lovebirds and the little ones doing?

Thanks
The member you mentioned hasn’t been online here since April. I don’t think you’ll get a reply.