• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newborn Cockatiel Dying from Feedings Please Help!!

Lilly88

Moving in
I had just had about 3 baby cockatiels that have hatched from my recent cockatiel pair. Unfortunately, I had to take them from the parents and incubate the eggs on my own as they had killed their last clutch by stepping on the hatched babies and bruising them. This was avoided during their second period this year as I had bought this new machine with all well-aware knowledge. Including brooding/incubation temperature, humidity levels etc.

The babies had been doing just fine! The first one that had hatched was about 1 week when this occurred. During his feeding, I had given him, through a syringe, some formula (5% thick) and it just stopped moving and chirping. After 5 minutes, nothing had happened and it began to get cold. I assumed this was death.
This then again happened with the second chick just days later.

I’m extremely unsure as to what is the problem here as I have fed baby tiels before, just not this young…
For context, i gently hold their head and will give around 0.2-0.3 mL a time.My conclusion is that I possibly gave too much, or either had given it to fast at once. This could have led to aspiration due to the poor feeding response.

I feel extremely guilty as a bird owner for killing my own babies. I have now one left and don’t want to lose it!! Please help me as I’m only looking out for the growth of this new chick. I have cried and stressed because of all of this as I make a terrible bird owner.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
(5% thick)
I don´t know what you mean by this. But on the formula instructions you will have the information on how to mix for younger chicks fronm day 1. The consistency will change almost daily at first until they are a little bigger.

I found with chicks that were days old, I couldn´t measure the formula as the quantity was so small, I just fed a few good sized drops until I saw the little bump in the crop and the formula was not in the neck.

It is better to feed a little less and do it more often than feed too much.

Temperature of the formula is crucial at this age. Too hot will burn a baby and too cold will lead to crop stasis and other problems.
You also want to be sure the consistency matches that of the instructions, and there are no lumps at all, even the smallest lump in the foormula can cause problems for such tiny chicks.

i gently hold their head
Double check you don´t have cold hands. You can use a hot water bottle, and hold it for a minute or so before handling chicks.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am very sorry this happened. Can you please tell us the brand name of what you are feeding?
We can check for a re call that way. Include the lot number and date of expiration just in case it is needed.

Lilly88

Moving in
This is a good resource too on baby tiels: www.ask-noodles.com.
Thanks for responding and thank you for your tips!
Please tell me what would happen specifically to the chick if the formula is to cold. By 5% thick it is watery but slightly thick.I learned that this measurement is done for the first 7 days.
I believe my hand are pretty warm when feeding them. How would you recommend on holding themduring feeding?
Thanks again!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thanks for responding and thank you for your tips!
Please tell me what would happen specifically to the chick if the formula is to cold. By 5% thick it is watery but slightly thick.I learned that this measurement is done for the first 7 days.
I believe my hand are pretty warm when feeding them. How would you recommend on holding themduring feeding?
Thanks again!
I think @Zara answered these questions in this post..
I don´t know what you mean by this. But on the formula instructions you will have the information on how to mix for younger chicks fronm day 1. The consistency will change almost daily at first until they are a little bigger.

I found with chicks that were days old, I couldn´t measure the formula as the quantity was so small, I just fed a few good sized drops until I saw the little bump in the crop and the formula was not in the neck.

It is better to feed a little less and do it more often than feed too much.

Temperature of the formula is crucial at this age. Too hot will burn a baby and too cold will lead to crop stasis and other problems.
You also want to be sure the consistency matches that of the instructions, and there are no lumps at all, even the smallest lump in the foormula can cause problems for such tiny chicks.

Double check you don´t have cold hands. You can use a hot water bottle, and hold it for a minute or so before handling chicks.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like maybe the baby aspirated. It helps to get a feeding response if the tip of the syringe is warm. I fill the syringe with formula and then leave it in a warm water bath at 105 degrees F until immediately before feeding. I continually dip the tip of the syringe in the warm water so that the syringe is always warm.