• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbies

Rrzzus

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rozalind
Hello all. I am excited to join this wonderful group of like minded people. I am learning how to use your site still so bear with me if I do not answer right away or make a mistake.
Me and my daughter are first time bird owners this week! It's something we have wanted for a really long time and have tried to do as much research as possible before we jumped feet first. Last week we adopted our very new family member August. August is a quaker parrot that is about 6 months old. I am joining you group in hopes of some advice along our journey of getting to know August and to hopefully be the very best parents we can be to our beautiful August! We have so much to learn and August is definitely not shy about teaching us! August is so sweet and soft spoken we just absolutely love him more then words. But August has a very playful and trickster side also. I have never enjoyed anything like I have getting to know our little feathered family member! I knew we wouldn't go wrong when we found him and now that he is here in our home I can't imagine what life was like with out him! This is a truly life changing in the most positive way that words can't even begin to justify how me and my daughter feel about our feathered family member! We are just in love with him! I will probably bombard you all with lots of questions that just can't be answered through research online! We want to provide only the best care for August and hope you all won't mind a couple of crazy bird newbies hanging out and soaking up any info and advice you all have!

We are so excited and can't wait to meet everyone!
Augusts Nanna.

Char.bird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Charlotte
:congrats5: on August and welcome!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

:congrats5: on your new family member August :starshower1:

Ask as many questions as you want and don't forget to spam us with birdie pics ;) I am pleased you joined :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
:welave: :hiya::needpics:

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to August and family!! You will love it here!!:heart::heart:

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Welcome! Feel free to ask any questions at all!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hello1: and Welcome! We, of course, need pictures!! Lol! :)

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Welcome! First thing:

Do a lot of grocery shopping...lay off the seeds...mostly pellets and fresh vegetables...a LITTLE fresh fruit now and then...and learn what you should NOT feed him/her. You would be surprised how some seemingly innocent fruits and vegetables are actually bad.

Since they eat so relatively little in comparison to what you buy...let’s take fresh beets, for example...come up with your keep refrigerated and keep frozen “plan.” For example:

I like fresh beets myself, but rarely make them for me. Although I could give Archie raw, I prefer to steam them. (Makes it easier to remove the skin.) This is something you’ll play around with: serving raw versus microwaving and steaming. Depends on the vegetable.

So I buy a bunch of beets (usually 4), put 2 in the freezer, steam 2, put 1 in the refrigerator and feed him 1. This is just an example, because beets have a very long refrigerated shelf life, but not all vegetables do.

I feed Archie fresh stuff twice a day, just one item at a time. I like this because he doesn’t get bored. Others use a mixed chop and that works for them. My way just seems more exciting to me.

His eyes light up (pin) when I walk over with the bowl and he gets all excited, not knowing what’s coming.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

EagleClem

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle