• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

maggz

Moving in
Real Name
Maggz
Hi

I’m currently a non bird owner but thinking of taking the plunge. I previously had a Budgie for a few years, technically it was my sisters but she never bothered with him so I bird napped him to give him the attention he deserved.

Tommy was a little sweetheart and eventually passed away due to a growth on his tummy that couldn’t be treated.

Anyway I consider myself inexperienced so looking for advice here on what people suggest based on what Im looking for.

Ideally I’d love a bird who can talk, likes affection, is generally considered not to be aggressive and is fun. Human/owner orientation. Not TOO big.

I would like to be able to leave them have free time around the house and for me to be a companion for them as much as they are for me.

I love the Galah Cockatoo it’s colours are beautiful but I’m open to looking at other birds as I want to make sure I get a bird that I suit as a beginner.

So, all help, advice and recommendations are welcome.

Thanks

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Maggz 1.welcome signs.gif

It can be helpful to include what you are offering the bird. For eg, space, budget, time.

maggz

Moving in
Real Name
Maggz
I am home 95% of the time. I don’t wish to spend excessively but I also want to spend based on what’s best. As for space my rooms aren’t huge but it’s a four bed house so reasonable size for the UK. Does that help?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welave:

Good to see another member from the UK.

Green cheek conures would fit your criteria with the exception of taking they are not the best. I am very biased though as i have two.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Hello! I agree with @Wardy, although I'm more biased to black-capped conures, aside from not talking, conures are great, especially for someone who is a beginner.

If you are set on a talker, you may consider another parakeet. They can learn to talk.

maggz

Moving in
Real Name
Maggz
Thanks for replying. I’ve just googled them and they are lovely. I really would love a talker… my son goes back to Uni soon and rather than talking to myself and sounding like a lunatic I will have a genuine reason to be talking once he’s gone

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
52923942-67F7-4976-A532-64D320A7A652.png
Though I am team budgie all the way have you considered a Indian Ringneck?
They can tick the talk box (but you cannot guarantee any parrot will talk), they certain look fun to me, though I’ve never had one, and are not too big.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I think you should get the bird you want from the beginning because hopefully whatever bird you get will be with you for a long time- possibly decades. That said, one of the sweetest birds you can get is a cockatiel. They are very nice birds. I help with a parrot rescue and one of the founders of the rescue always jokes and says- we should have just started a cockatiel rescue. (Because they are so sweet and easy- easy for a bird.)

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Welcome! Lots of smaller birds make amazing pets. I personally love Cockatiels. But a few other thoughts...

We have a Meyers that's pretty great. Do you have any rescues around? The best thing we ever did was go to a rescue and hold a different birds and see which one picked us. We made such a great match that way. Plus, if they're a bit older you'll know if they've been talking at all.

maggz

Moving in
Real Name
Maggz
Welcome! Lots of smaller birds make amazing pets. I personally love Cockatiels. But a few other thoughts...

We have a Meyers that's pretty great. Do you have any rescues around? The best thing we ever did was go to a rescue and hold a different birds and see which one picked us. We made such a great match that way. Plus, if they're a bit older you'll know if they've been talking at all.
Hi,
I did a very quick search earlier to see if there are any rescues locally but didn’t see anything at that point, however it was only a very brief search. I’m definitely going to look more in depth tomorrow as if I can rescue all the better!

maggz

Moving in
Real Name
Maggz
View attachment 392737
Though I am team budgie all the way have you considered a Indian Ringneck?
They can tick the talk box (but you cannot guarantee any parrot will talk), they certain look fun to me, though I’ve never had one, and are not too big.
I do actually like those, they look like little characters.