• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie!

Jennifer G

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jennifer Giamundo
Hi! I’m pretty new to having birds. I adopted 2 budgies who needed rehoming and then got a 6m old cockatiel who is my world. He recently flew into a window and it’s obvious he hurt his neck. I’m worried he’ll do it again so I sought out help online. I’ll be searching your site for advice on how to help him as far as perhaps clipping his wings or well, idk. Also as I’m not the first owners of the budgies they’re very skiddish. I’d love to get closer with them and will look for advice on that as well. I’m happy to be a part of your group, thank you for having me.

wavywavy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rowan
I don't have any advice regarding your babies, but welcome to the Avenue!

:welcomeavenue:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Is your tiel okay now? Does he need to see a vet? I wouldn't clip his wings. It's much better for a bird mentally and physically to be flighted. Also, young birds needs to learn how to maneuver, etc.. I would cover the windows instead. Either put up curtains or you can put decals on the windows so he knows it's something he can't fly through. As for the budgies, I would probably start with trying to hand feed them treats. Are they hand tame at all?

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
:welave: Clipping won't help, my cockatiel came to me clipped and he tries to fly, only to fall to the ground and destroy his tail feathers. He only has three left. :( You could try taking him around the house and tapping all the windows or letting him feel them so he knows they're there or you could cover the windows.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Hang some clear shower curtain liners from your ceiling, in front of the windows but about a foot away from them. I get them from Dollar Tree and like how thin they are for this purpose. The birds will hit the curtain, which will "catch" them and they'll fall to the ground much softer. They learn the parameters of where it's safe to fly pretty quickly, and then you can take the curtains down.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
I have cut long strips of paper towels, and taped them to the windows, mirrors or anywhere I did not want the bird to go on. As they approach, the paper flutters up and it makes them turn around, after a few tries they usually give it up, then you can take them down.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Jennifer! 1.welcome signs.gif

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I have cut long strips of paper towels, and taped them to the windows, mirrors or anywhere I did not want the bird to go on. As they approach, the paper flutters up and it makes them turn around, after a few tries they usually give it up, then you can take them down.
I'd never heard this suggestion before... people always recommended decals, which I use... thx

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Welcome!