• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie with hope for a bird companion

slsmith960

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Siera
Hi, my names Siera I'm 24 and I'm married. I also have a 3 year old. As well as a cat and dog. I'm really wanting to get a bird. But the problem is I've never owned a bird or held one. I'm trying to do all the research I possibly can. I'm also aware of the impact other animals and children in the house can do on a bird so I'm willing to wait. I've gone into the pet store near my store to play with some birds and get accustomed and theirs one I really like such a sweet bird. It's a Pinapple Green Cheek Conure named Paprika not sure of the sex the lady seemed surprised saying the bird always bites her hard and is a bit of a trouble maker but it was just laughing and nibbling my fingers. I would love to get this bird! But I also want to make sure my households ready so we can give it a great life. Anyways I just wanted to share my experience. Food for thought? Do you think a pineapple green cheek conure is a good first time bird?

Attachments

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue! :)

GCCs are good birds...although there aren't any in my flock, there are a lot of people here that are owned by them...hopefully, some will be along shortly to enlighten you on their charges...;)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Any bird is a good first time bird if you’re committed to doing what is right and willing to keep learning and be flexible. If you can keep the dog and cat separate so your bird can have safe out of the cage exercise, play and bonding time then there is one massive hurdle down. It’s safest time not let them interact even though you see many people mixing birds with dogs and cats online- it is never safe for the bird so therefore it is irresponsible and unfair to the bird.
More important things to consider than which species for your first bird are the changes you need to make to your home and the willingness of others you live with to do the same. Birds are very sensitive to toxins and we humans use many things daily that are toxic to them... Teflon in pans, coffee makers, hair appliances etc, perfumes, deodorants and all other aerosols, pest killers, cleaning chemicals, dog and cat saliva, certain foods etc. this list is fairly lengthy and I’ve just given you a small list.
If you can offer a home where you’re willing and able to make the changes needed to keep the bird safe and healthy, all members of the home are ready for the mess, noise and sometimes attitude, you are willing to keep learning and working with the bird and it’s needs then I can’t see a problem with you bringing home whatever bird you wish to have for company.
I can’t wait to follow your bird journey :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Siera! :starshower1:

Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Any bird is a good first time bird if you’re committed to doing what is right and willing to keep learning and be flexible. If you can keep the dog and cat separate so your bird can have safe out of the cage exercise, play and bonding time then there is one massive hurdle down. It’s safest time not let them interact even though you see many people mixing birds with dogs and cats online- it is never safe for the bird so therefore it is irresponsible and unfair to the bird.
More important things to consider than which species for your first bird are the changes you need to make to your home and the willingness of others you live with to do the same. Birds are very sensitive to toxins and we humans use many things daily that are toxic to them... Teflon in pans, coffee makers, hair appliances etc, perfumes, deodorants and all other aerosols, pest killers, cleaning chemicals, dog and cat saliva, certain foods etc. this list is fairly lengthy and I’ve just given you a small list.
If you can offer a home where you’re willing and able to make the changes needed to keep the bird safe and healthy, all members of the home are ready for the mess, noise and sometimes attitude, you are willing to keep learning and working with the bird and it’s needs then I can’t see a problem with you bringing home whatever bird you wish to have for company.
I can’t wait to follow your bird journey :)
Yes, What Shezbug said :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Yes, what Shezbug said. :) I think the biggest challenge is to allow your bird out of the cage time while keeping him away from your cat and dog. No matter how nice they are, dogs and cats are predators. Birds are prey. They can't be trusted together. And also just the noise factor- any bird can be loud at times. Sometimes people aren't prepared for that. I suggest trying to listen to some You Tube videos to make sure you can handle the noise. People have different sound tolerance levels.

Peaches1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kalee
Welcome to the community :welcomesign:. I will tell you as a green cheek owner myself they require A LOT of attention. It is very rare that they will want to stay in their cage and not be around you. Peaches ( my Conure) absolutely loves my dog and follows her everywhere when she’s not with me. Although my dog doesn‘t mind having a shadow following her every move lol. Conures love interaction and honestly they require almost the same attention as a toddler and definitely can act like one as well:shake:.I do recommend them because of the attachment that they have with their owners. They aren‘t a good bird to leave in a cage all day but if your looking for a companion that will want to be around you almost 24/7 Lol then I would recommend. Food can be fruits, veggies, mixture of seeds, etc. I’m sure the community can help you find a forum on here about a Conure daily diet. Hoping others that have conures can help out and give you their experience. If you have anymore questions just message me or comment and I’ll try to help the best I can. :greet14:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello: :welave:
I have a soft spot for conures myself but as already above they may not suit your current situation. I'm sure the dog would object to coming second to a bird.