• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie!! Need tips & advice <3

Petals

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sayre
Hello! :flowgdnc: :flowgdnc: I have recently joined the forum as you are probbaly aware haha. Im purchasing my first quaker from a breeder on the 28th, very excited, as they are my dream bird. she is very well handled & from a reputable breeder that is just PERFECT, so i have high hopes on her being an emotional support animal.

Do any of you quaker parronts have secrets to share?

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hello! :flowgdnc: :flowgdnc: I have recently joined the forum as you are probbaly aware haha. Im purchasing my first quaker from a breeder on the 28th, very excited, as they are my dream bird. she is very well handled & from a reputable breeder that is just PERFECT, so i have high hopes on her being an emotional support animal.

Do any of you quaker parronts have secrets to share?
There's a few on here i'm sure, and a wealth of information on the site. Welcome and have fun with your new member!

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Congrats on your new baby! Quakers seem like sweet birds with feisty personalities. Unfortunately I live in PA, so I will never be able to have one to love. But I do live vicariously through some of the members on here :lol:
@CrazyBirdChick @Hjarta5

And...welcome to the Avenue! :grpwelcome:

Petals

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sayre
Congrats on your new baby! Quakers seem like sweet birds with feisty personalities. Unfortunately I live in PA, so I will never be able to have one to love. But I do live vicariously through some of the members on here :lol:
@CrazyBirdChick @Hjarta5

And...welcome to the Avenue! :grpwelcome:
tysm <3 that stinks that your state doesnt allow them! ill be sure to post lots of pictures for you <3 ty ty, im sooo excited

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I had a quaker call Rocky he was a re-home so I’m not as familiar with babies but you should read the good the bad and the ugly about Quakers it is a sticker on this forum Rocky was a good chewer and he wove things

Petals

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sayre
I had a quaker call Rocky he was a re-home so I’m not as familiar with babies but you should read the good the bad and the ugly about Quakers it is a sticker on this forum Rocky was a good chewer and he wove things
Most appreciated :heart: Is it healthy to let them weave/build nests?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I let mine but he was bounded to a Nandi conure And they had ample space to live together

Petals

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sayre
Oooh, I see! <3 thank you, ill look more into it

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:welcomesign:

I dont have any experience with young parrots, but I wish you the best with Opal! Mine, Wally, is female and Ive yet to experience any weaving/building skills from her. Check out @CrazyBirdChick threads about her lovely guy, Blu, including this one: Check out the craftsmanship

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! :starshower1:

Petals

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sayre
I'm told Quakers are "pickers," meaning they pick on things on your skin. Ice had experience with a petshop quaker doing this. Is it generally true?

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Not sure about Quakers, but my female budgie picks at just about everything on me!

It’s not so bad, and at least you know when you’ve got something on your face/hand/finger etc:wacky:

tjc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tammy
Quakers? Fasten you’re seat belt and hold on! Boo is my 13 year old DNA sexed male Quaker. We’ve always been together. The are smart, clever, affectionate, spiteful, spirited, did I mention intelligent, and one of the best birds ever. Have you had birds before? They can be quiet difficult once they reach puberty around 1-2 years. That’s why proper training is important. The best hint I would give you is to read EVERYTHING you can find on Quakers. Do your research on positive reinforcement. This is the best way to encourage better behaviors. They can be great talkers, but not every Quaker will talk. Mine is a great builder. He loves to use wooden skewers. He can build elaborate nest. Last Spring, he became too hormonal, so I had to take his sticks away. It’s been hard to keep him occupied these days. You’ll wonder how you lived without your Quaker once you get him. Keep us updated.

Petals

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sayre
Quakers? Fasten you’re seat belt and hold on! Boo is my 13 year old DNA sexed male Quaker. We’ve always been together. The are smart, clever, affectionate, spiteful, spirited, did I mention intelligent, and one of the best birds ever. Have you had birds before? They can be quiet difficult once they reach puberty around 1-2 years. That’s why proper training is important. The best hint I would give you is to read EVERYTHING you can find on Quakers. Do your research on positive reinforcement. This is the best way to encourage better behaviors. They can be great talkers, but not every Quaker will talk. Mine is a great builder. He loves to use wooden skewers. He can build elaborate nest. Last Spring, he became too hormonal, so I had to take his sticks away. It’s been hard to keep him occupied these days. You’ll wonder how you lived without your Quaker once you get him. Keep us updated.
Lovely!! Your boy sounds so sweet ♡ I'll keep this in mind & update often about my Opal