• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie lovebird owner food advice

GalaxyDog9

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone! So, about two months ago I acquired a peach-faced lovebird. When I got him he was only on seeds, soon after I got him on zupreem fruity, now I have realized he should have better pellets, I’ve seen different things about good brands and I was thinking I would try Harrison’s? any recommendations on what type of blend? On Amazon It says on the adult blend to first use high potency for 6months? Am I reading that right? Also at what age is a lovebird consdered and adult? My lovebird is about 5ish months old (I think). Thank you all so much for replying! Sorry if I’m asking too many questions just trying to give my birdie the best, Thanks! 402FC691-C948-4B8D-BC01-BA5E09995D9B.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Is this little one your first bird?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thanks! yes indeed, first timer
Congratulations!

@Zara is a major lovie fan and a wealth of information, @Mizzely has really good information about pellets and diet conversions so hopefully they will be along soon.

I have two questions... do you happen to have natural perches for your little one? Is that a tent I see next to the swing?

GalaxyDog9

Meeting neighbors
Congratulations!

@Zara is a major lovie fan and a wealth of information, @Mizzely has really good information about pellets and diet conversions so hopefully they will be along soon.

I have two questions... do you happen to have natural perches for your little one? Is that a tent I see next to the swing?
this is an older picture, so i now have one natural perch and yes that is a tent!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Zupreem is totally fine if that's what she is eating. :) The best pellet is the one they eat, do well on, and you can afford. If she will eat Harrison's, that's an excellent pellet! But don't beat yourself up if Zupreem is the only one she eats :)

High Potency is usually suggested for the first 6 months, yes :)

GalaxyDog9

Meeting neighbors
Zupreem is totally fine if that's what she is eating. :) The best pellet is the one they eat, do well on, and you can afford. If she will eat Harrison's, that's an excellent pellet! But don't beat yourself up if Zupreem is the only one she eats :)

High Potency is usually suggested for the first 6 months, yes :)
ok, thanks! I thought it was saying before you could use the normal adult blend you have to use high potency as like a primer sorta thing, thanks for the advice!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
ok, thanks! I thought it was saying before you could use the normal adult blend you have to use high potency as like a primer sorta thing, thanks for the advice!
Correct, as part of a diet change they recommend using it for the first 6 months. That's not strictly necessary but it can make the change easier :)

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Welcome!

GalaxyDog9

Meeting neighbors
Correct, as part of a diet change they recommend using it for the first 6 months. That's not strictly necessary but it can make the change easier :)
Thanks for your help! Ordering high potency, hope he enjoys!:eat:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Also at what age is a lovebird consdered and adult?
Good question. I would think somewhere around the year mark, though I´m not sure. Most will have moulted into their adult plumage by then and be sexually mature. Though those can happen earlier.

Good luck with the food change, remember to go slowly so your bird doesn´t go hungry.

Welcome to the Avenue! :fairy2:

GalaxyDog9

Meeting neighbors
Good question. I would think somewhere around the year mark, though I´m not sure. Most will have moulted into their adult plumage by then and be sexually mature. Though those can happen earlier.

Good luck with the food change, remember to go slowly so your bird doesn´t go hungry.

Welcome to the Avenue! :fairy2:
ok, thanks for the help! I will keep that in mind! :)