• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie Here...would love some input

Lyndsay

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Lyndsay
Hi, All! I’m a new Budgie owner as of a few days ago. (Couldn’t be more excited!!!!) My 12yr old daughter actually became one a few weeks back as well. Anyways, since google only helps so much and I feel like I’m more confused after doing some research on the internet, I would be so grateful if you wouldn’t mind telling me the color and/or mutation (if any) along with sex of our 2 new family members. Thank you all so much!

My daughter’s Budgie is Pixie and she actually adopted her from a teacher who “didn’t have the time” for her. She’s believed to be around 8months old and female.

My Budgie is Buddy and I got him from PetSmart (not sure if that’s frowned upon or not). I’m not sure of the sex but appears to be young if I’m understanding about the bars reaching the cere.
618B8A79-2117-401A-89A6-DA3225428F72.jpeg EE5CA3A9-79B0-462C-8BEB-C5992E2945DA.jpeg

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Welcome to AA and congratulation on your 2 new friends :xflove:
A good idea is to keep those 2 separated for 4 to 6 weeks and give them a vet check to be sure they are healthy.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Lyndsay, Pixie and Buddy! :starshower1:

I got him from PetSmart (not sure if that’s frowned upon or not)
Some people choose not to shop pet stores, but that sweet little birdie needs a good loving home just like all other captive birds in the world :)

@Ripshod and @Budgiebonkers are a whizz at mutations :yes3:

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
Hey is also new, no bird yet but has an interest for genetics, so gonna try and take a stab at this as I am bored at home.

So obviously no budgie expert but found this, Budgie Parakeet Colors, Varieties, Mutations, Genetics

So trying to see if can figure this out.
So pixie would be if I interpet this all rigth a yellow base, and those wings look more clear then grey to me? Her back dont show but the green seem more light then dark green or?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Your little blue baby is soooo adorably cute and very young :heart:

:congrats5: on your two new family members!!!

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
Buddy is whitebased and seem to look a lot like the sky blue. And if I interpet it rigth the white wingtips would mean he is a clearwing

Cant seem to spot any other mutations mentioned on the page, but I would not be surprised if I missed something.

Will be fun to hear..

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Two things that may help. Better photos of your birds in natural light, no camera or phone flashes. Here are charts to help tell the gender: Click on the chart and it will enlarge.

Attachments

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
Welcome to the avenue Pixie, Budd and their human ;) !

So nice to hear that your daughter adopted the little sweetie!

I think the reason why buying in petstores (chains) is frowned upon is because the pets there are treated as merchandise and not living beings with personalities, emotions, needs. They do not get the proper care...
There are exceptions ofcourse.

Congratulations on providing two little darlings with a loving, caring home.

:starshower:

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
They're really cute! I don't know much about color mutations so I can't really help you with that.
It's great that you took Pixie in, and Buddy is defineitly a very young budgie.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I can't really see the ceres enough to tell you gender (might be just because I woke up)

But the blue one is definitely VERY young. Make sure to quarantine and get a vet check! Welcome guys!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
the green is a greywing dominant pied the blue is a dominant pied and female
Agreed on the green. Need a pic from the back and a pic from the front in natural light to confirm the blue (suspect male).
I don't frown on anyone buying from a chain. I consider them rescues and would have been sold anyway. Some good birds here have come via the chain stores and franchises.

Dorcas George

:welcomesign: I have two little guys, both from different pet stores. The first was a present. As for the second, long story. But that's how we ended up. They can be a challenge to tame. I see little Pixie is already stepping up. Hopefully, that can help Buddy see that it si okay. We are glad to see all of you here at the Avenue!

Lyndsay

Real Name
Lyndsay
You all are so welcoming and sweet! Thank you for making this newbie feel welcome. :joyful:

I had read about the separation so we are keeping them apart.:tup: And I’m hoping to find a good Avian Vet to get them checked.

Lyndsay

Real Name
Lyndsay
Agreed on the green. Need a pic from the back and a pic from the front in natural light to confirm the blue (suspect male).
I don't frown on anyone buying from a chain. I consider them rescues and would have been sold anyway. Some good birds here have come via the chain stores and franchises.
I took some more pics in natural light hoping that helps.

Attachments

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Hello and welcome! :grpwelcome:
Your story reminds me of myself :laugh: Our first budgie Jojo was technically a birthday gift for my daughters 12th last April. I agreed to that knowing that most likely I’d be the caregiver - that is my biggest gripe with the chain stores. Budgies especially are being sold so cheaply, many people treat them as “lesser” because of it. Or get them as an inexpensive “toy” for their kids:(
Anyway, fast forward one year and I’m now a crazy bird mom of 2 budgies and on the wait list for both local rescues to add (hopefully soon) another birb to our flock!
Welcome to the avenue. You have 2 beautiful little babies. I don't frown on buying from pet stores. I have had many wonderful little budgies from petshops. Taming was no harder with petshop birds than breeders birds.
I agree, we got Jo from Petsmart and she is the sweetest, friendliest baby:joyful: Yes, some of the policies and the way they are treated as merchandise I HATE but that is not the birds fault.

Anyway, sorry for rambling! I really just wanted to say welcome and have fun with your new babies! They are both beautiful:heart::heart::heart:

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
actually the blue is a clearflight pied not a dominant as theirs not white on the belly