• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

f3ath3rs2

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Audra
Thanks everyone for your messages! Wasn't sure if there would be any responses.

My question for the day is...how do I get her interested in her toys? She loves being out of her cage and spending time with my wife and I but has shown little to no interest in her toys. She has a boing and some other cool things to play with but really could care less about them. She wants to be out and cuddle a be loved. I have no problem with that but it would be fun to watch her play and know that when we are out she is entertaining herself.

Any suggestions? Pics coming soon now that I know people read these posts!:cool1:

I'm sure you'll find suggestions all over, you can also post in the conure section too, might get some more help. In the meantime though, my Jeepers (gcc also) was terrified of ANY toys when I first got her. My trick to getting her over fear of any of her toys - add treats. She was terrified of a rope perch, I stuffed sunflower seeds in the twists, I put a few seeds in her baskets full of goodies so she had to go through all the toys to get to her seeds (but she had to see/know they were there first). Now she'll take and play with just about anything I give her. She loves to play in and on baskets, chewing them, digging through them (I fill them with shredded paper, foot toys, balls, etc). Her favorite thing to play with are small jingly cat toy balls - plastic ones she can't get her toes/beak stuck in - she loves to throw them around!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Welcome to the Avenue! I hope you and your new conure like it here!
I also have 3 conures, 1 being a green cheeked conure, hehe!

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
Welcome! How old is she and how long have you had her? She may need to get used to her new surroundings and settle in a bit. My GCC's, Fiddle, favorite thing is to play with bells. It took him a bit to start playing with toys, too. Be patient!
Hi Ted! :welcome2: :hood: Glad you decided to check out the neighborhood. Lots of great people and fids, here. :)

Micki asked the same questions I was about to ask you. I have a GCC and she has been a real experience! She is 5 months old, now, and when I got her, it took time for her to play with her toys. She wanted to be on me constantly, and would even crawl up under my chin and sleep! I soon learned it was not a good idea to give into her (hard not to do, she's so darned cute). Getting her to play with her toys wasn't too difficult. I would play with them and include her. She liked to attack her bell ball, or drop it into my hand so I could toss it back up to her play top. She loves to hear "good girl!" so it's not hard teaching her. She knows how to "make a poopie" before we go anywhere together, fetch her ball, and stay! (on her play top). She has finally learned that it's fun to play by herself (she likes her swing, wooden blocks, bells, and balls, etc., to name a few) and not always have to be with mom to have fun. Conures are very smart little birds with a HUGE attitude! :lol:They love to do all the things Micki mentioned, and more... baths are a biggie! There is a wonderful site that has information on conures (www.pamperedpeeps.com). I'll warn you now, it's packed with information and adorable videos (not all conures) and it'll take days to see everything. I highly recommend it.

:congrats: on that new baby, and again, welcome! :) Hope to learn more about her, and see some pics, as well.

ECF10

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ted
Thanks for the reply! Bernadette is six months old. We have had her for about three weeks. The lady at the pet store (a very reputable bird only store) told me that she loved her boing and swing. I haven't seen her play with either one or any of her other toys. I took her swing out of her cage tonight and we played with it together and she was a bit more interested in it. Like I said in my original post...she is very happy and loves being out of her cage playing with my wife and I. She loves her baths too. Thanks again for your reply! Looks like you've got a big feathered family!

Take care,
Ted

ECF10

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ted
Thanks for all of your great suggestions! I am going to start doing many of these things tomorrow!

Thanks again,
Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.