• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New year's pellet conversion resolution

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Hi Gerard,

thanks for your explanations, they make sense to me :)

Yes, I had hoped she'll be back up to 200g by Monday/Tuesday but it's not gonna happen.

This a.m. she was back down to 195g for some reason - although she *may* have just had another sleep-in and not had her 'crack-of-dawn' brekkie (or at least not much) since she appeared to be just waking up and hadn't had her morning poop either when I came in to weigh her (poop happened right away after she woke and looked normal) She's eating and pooping normal.

I tell ya, that girl is going to be the death of me - as soon as I report one thing she goes in the opposite direction :cool:

As a side note: I'm beginning to think that her recurring digestive issues *may* be food intolerances. I do know for a fact that too much fresh corn (e.g. corn-on-the-cob) gives her true diarrhoea and gas (air bubbles in poops) which is why that's a very rare and strictly limited treat. I'm now wondering if there may be other foods as well, currently I'm somewhat suspecting kiwi fruit :)confused:).

So once she's consistently eating pellets I'm going to do a serious elimination process with fresh foods and I'll keep a close eye on it in the mean time.

Well, see how we go ...

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Hi Gerard,

well, Ceddy's not gained any more weight at this point, still hovering around the 196/197g mark. She's active, eating well and no sign of illness.

Unfortunately, I'm currently dealing with some considerable personal stress, do you think it would reduce the chance of success if I'd defer resuming the conversion attempt for at least another week or two?

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Astrid, she'll need another week to regain enough weight. Sorry to hear you're going through some stress at the minute. Give me a yell if you need to talk to somebody Astrid, you've got my number. :hug8:

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
HA! That girl refuses to gain any more weight! Still around 196 to 197g (she'd actually lost a little during last week's heat but has regained it).

She's active, quite vocal :rolleyes:, eats well, no sign of illness, just not gaining weight :cool:

Don't know if she might have read that we'll put her back on rissoles if she does :huh:

So I'm not sure where to go from here?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
For anyone following this thread, we haven't quite given up on Ceddy yet :p

However, we've been having a very hot summer and so far there's no end in sight, and as a result I've been struggling to maintain Ceddy's weight even without the conversion attempt.

She's otherwise her healthy and active self but I don't want to push it, so I've decided to wait until the weather is consistently and considerably cooler - if that ever happens, currently it honestly doesn't seem like it :cool: - and Ceddy has regained some weight before resuming the conversion attempt.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
This is my pellet free dry mix. The CAGs get a little more fat in their mix and Zena doesn't get any nuts or seeds in her mix. Zena only gets nuts and seeds in her mash after they are ground because of PDD. Each week I mix it a little different. I don't always put all of the ingredients. Also, I don't have the herbs yet so I've been using Gardenflora II in place of the herbs. I also have some left over pellets and bird mixes that I'm putting in until they're gone but this is what we're transitioning to:

[FONT=&amp] Anise pods, big birds [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Basil Leaf[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Hemp seed[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Coconut[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Cranberries[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Chamomile flowers[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]cilantro[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Sweet Cinnamon[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Dried veggies[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Dried fruits[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Puffed grains[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Whole grain, sugar free cereal or granola mix[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]dried dandelion leaves[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]dried peppers[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]red clover[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Chickweed[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]red raspberry[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]seedless rose hips[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Echinacea root[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Ginger root[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]hibiscus flower[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]dill weed[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]goji berries[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]buckwheat[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
elder berries[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]lambs quarter[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]mints[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]cleavers[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]comfrey[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]lemon balm[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
Groundsel[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]marjoram[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]meadowsweet[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]meadowsweet flower[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Peppermint[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]shepherd’s purse[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]whole cloves –big birds[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]rosemary[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]hawthorn berries[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]rose petals[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]spearmint[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]licorice root[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
calendula[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
pine nuts – big birds[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]pumpkin seeds – big birds[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]beach nuts – big birds[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Cashews – big birds[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Corn[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Peppers[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Carrots[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Cabbage[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Brazil nuts big birds[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Sunflower seeds – big birds[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Cherries[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Spinach[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Strawberry[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Hazelnut[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Apple[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Pineapple[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Mango
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]St John’s wort – Korbin Dallas only[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Thyme[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]burdock root[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Bladderwrack[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Dulse (seaweed)[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Alfalfa[/FONT]

This is what the last batch looked like before it was mixed.
[FONT=&amp]rue[/FONT] 860610_10200610117324269_719993602_o.jpg

Last edited:

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Holy Moly Jen, that's some mix. How much does it cost for you to put it together? How long is the expected shelf life? Do your birds eat all the ingredients or do they just pick out the bits & pieces they like? How did you come up with the ingredients and most importantly how will you get your birds to eat even a little bit of all those ingredients during the course of a day? Do you know which vitamins, minerals and trace elements decay or oxidise and which ones tend to concentrate during the drying process? Do you know what the expected protein, fat, carbohydrate and fibre levels are expected to be produced from a 2g serving of such a mix?

I don't have time just at the moment to go through them one ingredient at a time just at the moment, but when I do I have no intention of carving you up for the wolves. I know you're not a fan of pellets and I do like the fact that you're prepared to think outside the box and you've obviously done a lot of research. Would love to discuss. Nice to see you back at AA and I hope your shin splints have healed.
:)

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ugh, it appears my post disappeared into cyber space, so I'll try again (hope it's not a double post now)

Hi Gerard and everyone,

well, sorry Gerard, I took Ceddy to the vet today because of her weight issues and we've decided to abandon this conversion attempt for the foreseeable future (see more details here: http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-boulevard/106672-off-vet-3.html#post1606092 )

I really think this might have worked if not for those ongoing weight problems, and maybe we can resume the attempt at a later time when Ceddy has *hopefully* regained weight.

In any case, Thank You so much for your time and your attempt to help, Gerard! I really do appreciate it!

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
It's no problem at all Astrid. It is why I wanted to wait until she'd regained more weight before we went again. Hope all goes well with her Astrid. Colin is a good AV, so I'm sure he'll guide you in the right direction. :)

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Bumping for Kiwi. The basics of my dry mix is here. This is the mix for all birds. Zena gets it without nuts or seeds. I do give her ground nuts and seeds in her mash.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a great time to bump this thread!
Adding pellets to your fid's diet is really benificial to most birds! :)
Give it a try everybirdy!

My birb

Meeting neighbors
I have an Indian ringneck and i was easily switched when i realized seeds were a horrible diet whil his beak started to turn black and so did his feathers. Now i have to wait for a whole molt season ☹. I strongly urge pellets as they are rich in nutrients. Good luck