• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New (very frightened) family member!

Alexi

Moving in
Real Name
Alexi Evers Steenkamp
:greet14:My fiance and I had decided at the beginning of the year that we definitely wanted to get another cockatiel.
We decided to adopt an older rescue bird instead of getting a new baby but after months of calling local rescues with no luck we almost opted to head back to our breeder...But! Last week, while taking Nimbus in to get his beak and wings done, I was lamenting to my vet about wanting to adopt a bird in need and they announced that they have had a cockatiel for a month who was found as a stray. Enter Zorro! A very beautiful and uniquely coloured adult Lutino! We named Zorro as he has a funny gray triangle down his back (like a cape or bandana) that contrasts his yellow and white quite stunningly. <3
Here's the problem though I don't really know where to start with getting him accustomed to his new home. He was found in the road and hasn't really been handled ever, he sat idle in a basic holding cage at my vet without toys for at least a month before coming home with me. He's very skittish, bitey, and tends to pace.:eeeek: I am not deterred at all though, I knew a rescue would take a very long time to tame and I am prepared for this but I would love some tips and help!
He's in his own cage by my desk right now so he can hear me when I speak softly to him and I plan on giving him a week or two to settle down and get accustomed to the noises and going on of the house.
Is that enough time?:ashamed1:
How long should I give him before introducing hands and coaxing him out with treats?
Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable?
:smileflower:
Honestly If he doesn't ever end up liking me very much or being very cuddly I'm totally fine with that! So long as I can provide his a happy environment and be able to let him out of the cage and interact with my other Cockatiel Nimbus :heart:

Help please! :cheer:

With love,
Alexi:fairy:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks for helping this bird. There's no set time limit on anything. You really just have to try to move at his pace. It sounds like you're doing the right things- spending time with him, talking softly, etc. If he's really nervous you can for awhile cover three sides of his cage, leaving the front open, so he doesn't have to be on "alert" for danger from all 4 sides. When you're not with him, play some music or leave the TV on as silence can mean danger to a bird. You can see if he'll start letting you feed him some millet spray through the cage bars. You just have to kind of gauge his reaction to things and go from there.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
go at his pace, allow him to settle in, it make take a few days or weeks. I rescued a tiel named Bebe. I have him for over year and he still is working on it. he will now come out of his cage, eating much better then he was (a seed junkie along with human trash food). try this in your pocket carry a zip lock baggie with treats for him. every time you pass his cage, call his name and put a treat in his food dish, don't stand there to see if he is eating it. just walk away. repeat this as much as you can. he will see you as the person that gives him his favorite nummies.

Pictures - meet Bebe | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum