• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Vasa Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Think I'veseen Tinta aroundbut has not posted in awhile. I was checking her profile the other day & she has a few vids...one with her cousin I think.

I had a interest in Vasa's too but the bronze wing has sort of a smilar look & would be more to my tempermant but I have my Penny now & she is my heart bird!

Check You tube too...sometimes good info

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:think1: Are there any Vasa groups on Facebook? I'm not very FB savvy, so I don't know how you'd look for those.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I hesitate to throw this one out there BUT a new small bird only store opened recently in my neck of the woods. I was told they had "high end" birds and when I visited the store they had 2 ekkies, a B&G couple, a black palm 'too (majestic), a sulphur 'too, a bare-eyed and a hy as well a several different types of conures. They also had a 6 month old B&G and 2 young golden conures in a back room - @Cassiopejaz & I were invited to see the young ones because I commented on the noise. Extremely clean all around and I know that buying from a pet store is frowned on.

In any case, this store is trying to set up classes for potential and present parronts, as well as making their own mash and chop so that a parront could stop by and pick up the ready made food. The store is called ParrotStars and I figured you might be able to contact them and see if they can point you in the direction of someone else who could help. Parrot Stars - Where Nature Comes to Life! The manager of the store is called Joyce Ernst. The lady who spent time talking to me was actually her mom, but they seem really intent on helping and educating people interested in birds, so I thought it might be worth a shot.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I have their card with phone & fax # if you're interested - PM me. The only other person I could think of who might know of/have contacts would be Dr. Scott McDonald since he travels alot, not only in the States but also around the world; he also worked @ the Brookfield Zoo here in Chicago. Scott E. McDonald I'm pretty sure if he were working in your area he'd be thrilled to stop by IF you asked (he's not pushy).

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I was looking thru the internet and found this article, Eve the Vasa Parrot. Really interesting and lots of info. Just type it in your address bar

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I found this article online but I have to say that some of the photographs are very disturbing to me.Vasa Parrots as Pets | Beauty of Birds

Though it does have the breeder's name and you might get some info there.
Yeah, I read the article and even contacted Eve's owner, Kim, but she only suggested that I join a Facebook forum, which I told her that I haven't used social media since 2010, and have no interest in creating another account. Hopefully, Vasa Parrot's will become more familiar in time. It feels like I'm inquiring about a dinosaur lol. Truth is, I didn't know what a Vasa was until I ran across my guy's listing.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
and I throw all kinds of stuff in there: chia seeds, crushed eggshell, almonds, brazil nuts, vegetables, dried fruit, and his ABSOLUTE favorite, Red Palm Oil. I was told that Vasa Parrots need an animal-based protein source, and I've tried offering cooked chicken and scrambled eggs but he wants nothing to do with them.
You must add the best seed and that is Hemp seed.
Containing all 20 amino acids, but also each of the nine essential amino acids that our bodies cannot produce.
If you want high quality protein, add hemp seed. And then it's not necessary to add animal based protein. (but add egg or egg food for vit D)
I will also suggest you to sprout your seed. (but not the hemp)

And congrats to your boy! :)
How do he transport himself? Can he fly?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You must add the best seed and that is Hemp seed.
Containing all 20 amino acids, but also each of the nine essential amino acids that our bodies cannot produce.
If you want high quality protein, add hemp seed. And then it's not necessary to add animal based protein. (but add egg or egg food for vit D)
I will also suggest you to sprout your seed. (but not the hemp)

And congrats to your boy! :)
How do he transport himself? Can he fly?
Thank you! I never thought about Hemp seed, but I will definitely give it a try. According to the breeder, she's never seen him fly or attempt to fly, but thankfully he is fully-flighted, which is how he came to me. However, since he was malnourished, all of his tail feathers broke off, so he can't gain any altitude or steer. The only time he flies is if something scares him, and even then, he usually crashes into the wall or falls behind my desk. I don't know if he ever learned to fly or if he's just impaired because of his tail feathers. When he's on the floor, he does this little shuffle where he pulls himself along with his beak, but every time he's on the floor, he crawls over to me and props himself up on my foot or tries to climb my leg. I can't help but scoop him up when he does that and hold him close to me. He doesn't perch well, and I'm not sure if it's because of his balance or calcium deficiency, but when he's stationary on the floor, he leans onto his side with his remaining foot. He does, however, have a small stump left behind that he still tries to use but it doesn't even touch the floor when he's on it. And since he uses his beak to pull himself along the floor, I notice he's reluctant to move across hardwood, probably because it hurts his beak, but put him on a carpet and he's QUICK! How would I go about sprouting seeds? I looked it up a few times and got really confused by it.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
he crawls over to me and props himself up on my foot or tries to climb my leg. I can't help but scoop him up when he does that and hold him close to me.
I couldn't think of any better way to becoming good friends! :heart::heart::heart:

It is so easy. :)
I never store mine because of the risk of bacterial so I sprout what I and the girls eat for one day.
If you don't know the quality of the seed/lentils/beans, pasteurize them first before soaking. That is all you have to do with them before soaking them.

And this is what you can do with left overs. (green lentils)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Shari of Parrot Island in MN has one named Gizmo or Gadget, I think. Call her.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shari of Parrot Island in MN has one named Gizmo or Gadget, I think. Call her.
I'll check to see if there's a website and look for some contact information, maybe an email first just for introduction. Thank you.

Casa de Vasa

Meeting neighbors
Hello, I have Vasa Parrots. I see yours has a harness on. Wow. He must have been through a lot with surviving the raccoon attack. Looks like you are doing well with him. They do require a bit more protein. Especially during the hormonal peaks. They make so many visual changes throughout the year. They have been seen eatng a bit of animal protein in the wild. I will offer mine scrabbled egg, or a bit of cooked fish. I feed fruits, veggies, pellets, volkman African grey mix because it has cuttle bone in it for calcium. They are extremely intelligent and have different personalities. The males are very sweet. They prefer to care for the females and tend to have more patience while the females are use to several males and tend to be a bit more assertive.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello, I have Vasa Parrots. I see yours has a harness on. Wow. He must have been through a lot with surviving the raccoon attack. Looks like you are doing well with him. They do require a bit more protein. Especially during the hormonal peaks. They make so many visual changes throughout the year. They have been seen eatng a bit of animal protein in the wild. I will offer mine scrabbled egg, or a bit of cooked fish. I feed fruits, veggies, pellets, volkman African grey mix because it has cuttle bone in it for calcium. They are extremely intelligent and have different personalities. The males are very sweet. They prefer to care for the females and tend to have more patience while the females are use to several males and tend to be a bit more assertive.
Wow! Another Vasa owner! My prayers have been answered! You have no idea how relieved I am. I have quite a few questions if you have the time :omg:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Wow! Another Vasa owner! My prayers have been answered! You have no idea how relieved I am. I have quite a few questions if you have the time :omg:
Hooray! You have no idea how glad we are that you're here @Casa de Vasa. :laughing12:

It may be Sarah's birthday, but Brittany and Java are the ones who just got a gift! :present:

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hooray! You have no idea how glad we are that you're here @Casa de Vasa. :laughing12:
I have contacted breeders, forums, and a local sanctuary and they couldn't tell me anything because, as the woman on the phone put it, "you don't see Vasas". Finally no more wandering in the dark :fairy2:glad I'm not the only one with a dinosaur at home

Casa de Vasa

Meeting neighbors
There is a group on Facebook called Greater Vasa Parrot owners and admirers. Although I’m not on fb any longer, there are many other Vasa owners there as well. I originally started the group so others and myself could learn more. I’m currently on Instagram under casa_de_vasa with many pictures of my flock. I have 4 Vasa with different pasts amongst other Parrots. I’m not a breeder. Our birds are family. :heart: 6674B0CC-8B26-4584-A79B-FCE33DD1F110.jpeg

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have 4 Vasa
Beautiful Vasa's you have! ♥

And as you have 4 I would want to know for what reason you have them? (for me that tells that you love the specie)
And also what do think is their best feature and their worst?

Casa de Vasa

Meeting neighbors
I absolutely adore our Greater Vasa Parrots. They enrich our lives as we strive to enrich theirs. They are very misunderstood parrots but can make excellent companions for the right persons. They are not for everyone. Each have different personalities. Some are quiet, others loud, others talk well, some not at all. They are long necked, intelligent, have raptor like fight abilities and quite different from other parrot species. They could easily take flight, even if wings are clipped so caution should be taken. Some are great at figuring things out, opening cages, and taking things apart. They will do a snake like neck greeting to each other and those they like. They make visual changes throughout the year, including feather coloring without molting, cere/nare color, beaks peal and Change from blotchy and dark to bone white and back again, skin color changes to yellow/orange, and males even prolapse (Hemi-junk) durring their hormonal season, which is normal for them and females drop head feathers. Some males loose head feathers as well. They make fascinating changes which can be quite alarming if one is not familiar with them. I started off with a pair who were originally meant to be breeders. My husband acquired them for me after one of my beloved parrots passed away. We agreed to keep them together. They quickly learned to step up with positive reinforcement and fly to me. They each have individual cages and a large aviary for them all. Ours do excellent together. One Female has multiple males in the wild and so we’ve noticed our girl can tend to be bossy and assertive. Some females can exhaust just one male to the point of annoyance and They prefer to be fed by the males, especially during the hormonal time. Vasa can also become more aggressive and that’s where some say the extra protein helps calm them. I would tend to agree. We currently have one female and three males here. It’s a great fit for us and everyone is very content and happy. Our other two males come from different backgrounds and walks of life. Im all for the conservation of Vasa parrots. They are rarely seen as pets and their natural habitat in Madagascar is drastically changing, which will cause a great decline eventually. They have always captivated me with their striking dark beauty and intelligence and have simply become a part of our daily lives.
C7663101-4A6E-40F6-B607-A19153965620.jpeg 8AF3342A-1FE7-4AF0-A622-2DED8017DD8C.jpeg F9BA1EA8-F8A4-4D5E-993D-68A0605C18FF.jpeg 3195288D-EAC2-439D-B8B2-C6AE2B1FF47F.jpeg BB9625E9-07C8-48EA-AFA8-8065ADE79705.jpeg E53CEF84-A464-465C-8F6C-7E5D99167470.jpeg

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.