• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New TV in bird's room

BirdView

Strolling the yard
I am thinking of getting a new TV in my living area. I will have to move the bird's cages because that is where the TV will be mounted on the wall. I would like to know how far the cages should be from the TV. Also how do birds react to content on the TV. Do they get scared if they see a predator in a documentary for example? What about loud sound effects in movies and shows? Does the deep rumbling from a subwoofer bother them? What about graphical contents like a monster or a zombie? Anyone with firsthand experience?

Should I move the cages to the other side of the room (25 feet away) or can they stay close (10 feet from a 75" TV). I have a cockatiel, a budgie, a quaker parrot, a GCC, and double yellow amazon. My birds are curious and like to explore but they are skittish and get scared easily.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have cockatiels and budgies. My tiels would become very startled at a sudden change in scenery, or color on the TV when they were out of their cages. Same with noises. Inside their cages - they were OK. They are all now in a bird room where there is no TV.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
My birds and the tv are in the same room. They do react to the sound - if a movie gets loud, the budgies will try to be louder, lol. They seem to "watch" sometimes, but I think it's mostly the movement and color that catches their attention. We watch a lot of nature documentaries and they have never responded with alarm to anything. Bird sounds and music are the main things that catch their attention, they get more excited about musicals than anything else.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Zazu would always react with an alarm call if a predatory bird came on screen such as a Hawk or Eagle regardless if they made any noise or not.
Nala could have cared less and never reacted negatively to any thing on TV.
So I think it just depends on the individual bird.